State Fair Of Texas

Decorating By pscsgrrl Updated 2 Sep 2006 , 2:37am by southaustingirl

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:07am
post #1 of 16

Is anyone entered the cake baking competition at the Texas Fair. I couldn't find anything on decorating, just baking. Does anyone know about the cake stuff at the Texas Fair??

15 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:13am
post #2 of 16

Where is the fair?

aliekitn99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliekitn99 Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:14am
post #3 of 16

Dallas, TX icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:15am
post #4 of 16

I wish I could help you, but I'll bump you back up. Maybe someone else knows.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 12:16am
post #5 of 16

Hi,
I am not from Texas, but I recently entered and won in the CA State Fair Cake show. In State Fairs, it is usually just baking considering that it is a statewide contest and they anticipate that people who live very far from where the fair is held will have a very hard and difficult time entering a very well decorated cake. That's why State Fairs only have baking, which is judged on taste, because it is easier for people to mail undecorated cakes, breads, cookies etc.. to the fair.

Now, on County Fairs they do Cake Decorating because only people from that county can enter. icon_smile.gif I encourage you to enter in the baking anyway . icon_smile.gif

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 1:10am
post #6 of 16

The State Fair of Texas does not have a cake decorating contest. Why, I have no idea! I've complained 2 years in a row too! All of their contests are baking related, some new national contests, some just local bits.
It's very strange that they wouldn't considering the size and the magnitude of the fair. I have not been able to find any competitions to enter on a local level. Hope this answers your question! Maybe if everyone complained they would change it!

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 16

I went to the State Fair website but couldn't find anything about the baking contests. Where can I get this information?

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 16

Maybe it is under "COMPETITIONS". ? icon_smile.gif

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 7:24pm
post #9 of 16

Funny that one of the biggest state fairs does not have this kind of competition!!

I'm afraid the closest thing for Texans is the Oklahoma Sugar Art Show. It hosts the national wedding cake decorating contest - if I'm not mistaken it's also shown on Food Network.

I'm going as a sponge to soak up as much as possible. I haven't checked but I hope it's not Texas/OU weekend. Ack!!

Here's a link for anyone interested:
http://www.oksugarartshow.com/index.htm

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 7:27pm
post #10 of 16

Here's what I found:
You can go to this link http://www.bigtex.com/creativearts/competitionhandbook/, and about midway down the page is a link to the Creative Arts Competition Handbook. It will have the info you are looking for. This year they have "A Fair Tradition" Cake Baking contest. To read it online, you have to save it then open it in Adobe. Even their own website tells you they're having problems! The contest is mainly for taste, not looks (but they don't hurt I bet) and the entry is due at 9a on October 14, judging at 10:30a.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

gidgetsmom Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 16

OK - here you go - not sure if the pdf link will work but if not go to the second link and scroll down to "contest during fair" to "A Fair Tradition" cake baking contest. You don't have to pre-register but it is baking only.

Link for PDF Info/Registration: http://www.bigtex.com/creativearts/contests/2006/cake_baking.pdf

Link for Creative Arts Contest Page:
http://www.bigtex.com/creativearts/contests/

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 16

The closest real cake decorating competition to the D/FW area is the Sugar Wonders Cake and Sugar Art Show, being held in March of 2007 in the lovely Heard-Craig Hall in historic McKinney. Sugar Wonders holds our shows during the spring of odd-numbered years. Here are the links to the club website and the entry forms for the show (it's not too early to send in your form!), or you can PM me if you have questions.

http://www.sugarwonders.com
http://www.sugarwonders.com/cakeshowMckinney.pdf

Deanna

gidgetsmom Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 7:45pm
post #13 of 16

Wow Deanna - I'll have to put that on the list too!

Thanks for the info!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 1 Sep 2006 , 8:12pm
post #14 of 16

gidgetsmom, you aren't very far from me. I'm in The Colony.

Why aren't you entering the show in Tulsa? If you're driving all that way, enter something! thumbs_up.gif The show is the first weekend of October so you have time to get an entry or two or three together.

The judging in Tulsa is different than the judging at Sugar Wonders. In Tulsa, only the wedding cake competition is judged on an absolute-scale basis. The rest of the categories are subjective. At Sugar Wonders, all categories are absolute-scale. You have a much better chance of getting a ribbon that way, and best of all, you know you earned every single point of your score.

If anyone is interested in coming to a meeting, the information is on the Sugar Wonders website, and this month, acting club president Tamara is teaching a gumpaste lily.

Deanna

pscsgrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pscsgrrl Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:26am
post #15 of 16

Thanks everyone for the information. I will definitely be considering entering something in the SugarWonders Show. I'll have to brainstorm some ideas.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 2 Sep 2006 , 2:37am
post #16 of 16

thanks for the link to the contest information at the state fair!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%