I Need Help Making A Fondant/gumpaste Graduation Cap.

Decorating By darkchocolate Updated 9 Jul 2007 , 8:48pm by darkchocolate

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make a graduation cap and I would like to make it out of gumpaste/fondant 50/50 mixture.

I tried using a 50/50 mixture this morning and I placed it over a small bowl, but it is sticking and I had to peel it off, so of course it is no good. How do I make this cap and use a bowl or something as my mold? Do I need to put something on the bowl first? I thought about putting Saran Wrap on the bowl first then maybe I could get the "cap" off easier. I just don't know what to do and I need help.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

darkchocolate

7 replies
Chericakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chericakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 8

What size do you need the cap to be? I made one a couple of months ago to be a decoration on top of a Grad cake. I used a styrofoam "coffee cup", cut it down to maybe 1 1/2" or so. I flipped it over, covered the sides with fondant. I cut a circle for the top(but really the bottom of the cup), Then I took 2 squares of graham crackers and covered that with fondant for the board. I kept the cup in place until it was dry. Applied everything with vodka for my glue. I made a small button out of fondant and used the grass tip for the tassels. I used the wilton black fondant though. I don't know if any of this will help, but good luck.
Cheryl

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 8

Plastic wrap on top of the bowl will help get the molded item out easier. It also helps to dust the plastic wrap with cornstarch/powdered sugar before placing your gumpaste/fondant.

jreimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jreimer Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 8

I used a cup for my mold (See my pics for my grad cake - red and white)

I rubbed the cup with Crisco first. Make sure the cup/bowl is tapered at one end to be able to slide it off easier and also make sure there isn't an edge on the cup.

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 8

ok, I had a small bowl, lined it with plastic wrap, took the fondant ( cut in a round the size wanted) and laid it in side, put off the the side, i make the flat board, Just a square, put that off to the side. the tassle i just cut some thin strips of fondant, bunched them toather and made the braid and attached to dry, after a couple of hours, i gentle took the circle out of the bowl and put on the outside of the bowl wraped in plastic wrap, i used the plastic wrap like a tool to sort of make the fondant do what it did not want to do. just take your time.

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 8

I made mine using a 4" round and then a piece of cardboard covered in fondant... you can check my pictures for a photo of it.

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 8

I wonder what size you need? I recently made two caps for an event. I used a 1/2 ball cake and covered it with fondant. I made the top the size of a CD case, and let it dry.

I though got a little corney with my design. I added Eyes, eyelids, eyelashes, and eyeliner(for the girl) all out of fondant. It was a real hit.

The cake made it easy so get the shape I wanted and made it strudy enough to be moved around. It was ment to be just a little something for the graduates.

C.C.C.

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for your quick responses. I want a small graduation cap, nothing too big. I will be using my 9X13 pan and I will include a diploma also on the cake. By the time I put on a top border and write on the cake I don't want it to be overcrowded. I have several small bowls/containers that will work. I wanted to use fondant/gumpaste mixture because I won't have any cake batter leftover and I don't want to make more just for the graduation cap.

I have put some Saran Wrap on my small glass bowl and I dusted it with powedered sugar. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will work. I have already cut out a square for the mortar board and that has been drying since this morning. I won't need the cap until Saturday, but I wanted to make sure it is done and dry. I want my decorations to be ready when I am ready for them.

I looked at your pictures of graduation caps and they look great! I am looking forward to making this cake and I just hope it is all I expect it to be.

darkchocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%