Cake Mixes

Business By jnestor Updated 20 Jul 2007 , 8:03am by shifty

jnestor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnestor Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 6

I saw a few posts on this topic, but I was wondering if I could get some input. I'm just starting my business, and I can't decide weither to offer cake from scratch or go with the box stuff. At first I thought you had to make from scratch when you have a business, but I have since learned otherwise. I feel more confident with my boxed cakes, because my homemade cakes always taste funny. Any input would be appreciated. : )

5 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 12:37am
post #2 of 6

The owner of a small bakery I worked summers at in high school, prided himself on his scratch bread dough and stuff but said that the mix companies had spent so much time perfecting the mixes he couldn't do any better.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 2:35am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrenn

At first I thought you had to make from scratch when you have a business, but I have since learned otherwise.

This is a common misconception and I've no idea where it got started. GFS and Sysco sell an awful lot of mixes and other frozen/prepared foods and they don't sell them to housewives. They sell them to bakeries, restaurants and caterers. I see them buying the same stuff I'm buying when I go in to pick up my order from these places.

I would suggest you start out with what you do best. If that's a box mix, then go with it. If you want to start doing scratch, then practice with recipes until you find one that works well for you. You have a lot of expert resources on this site to help you out in either (or both!) direction.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 6

I have both. There are flavors that I get rave reviews on and these are all doctored box mixes. I also have scratch that are family recipes that I have a higher charge on b/c of the ingredients involved. I get orders for my "basic" flavors and for my "specialty" flavors.

I also offer fresh/homemade fillings on request at an additional charge, so far I have only done this for family b/c of special dietery restrictions. I wanted to make sure that i KNEW what was going into the cake and not guess.

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 6

I use a box mix and doctor it up. I think the amount of extras I put in it take it from a box mix to almost scratch.
JMHO.
meg

shifty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shifty Posted 20 Jul 2007 , 8:03am
post #6 of 6

I prefer to use a mix and add a few things to it to give it my own personal touch. If you think your scratch cakes taste funny I would suggest using the cake mix to start with and maybe practice making cakes from scratch until you come up with a recipe that you are comfortable with and doesnt taste funny to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%