Black Fondant - Help!

Decorating By themaker Updated 9 Jul 2007 , 8:22pm by miriel

themaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
themaker Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 8

Ok so I have made MM fondant tons of times before and had no problems. This morning I tried to tint it black - I took another member's advice and tried tinting the marshmallows before adding powdered sugar and it got all dry and crumbly. icon_cry.gif

Now I need help and FAST. I would go buy Wilton's but it's $9 a pack and I know it tastes gross and I think I would need about 10 packs to cover my cake.

Does anyone know how to make black or even a dark green MM fondant without losing the consistency?

I wish I had ordered Satin Ice - I just read about it today....

Or if anyone lives near Morristown NJ and has some that I can buy from them - I'd be forever grateful!

Deborah

7 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 8

I made black fondant last night for a gambling theme cake. I use colors from Kopykake, it's a flowpaste. I kneaded it right into the finished fondant with no problems. Try kneading some more Crisco into it, hope this helps!

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 8

Here's what I do ~ start with tinting the "soupy" MMF a nice brown. Then start using the black. Then, I incorporate about half PS and half powdered cocoa. I get a nice dark brown/black from that. In a crunch you can get black food coloring and some compressed air and make a poor man's airbrush to spray your cake black after coloring it with fondant. As long as you give it plenty of time to dry, you should be fine. (And don't touch it while it's drying ~ you'll leave fingerprints!)

HTH!

themaker Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 8

After throwing out 2 batches of MM fondant that I just couldn't get at the right consistency... I ended up icing it in buttercream and just buying a few cans of the spray on black color by Wilton. Not the best cake ever but people were still impressed.

I figured I'd post it in case anyone else ever has this dilemma and NO time! icon_smile.gif I've learned my lesson... PLAN AHEAD!
LL

BabyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyKat Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:35am
post #5 of 8

Your cake turned out great!!!

I am in Canada and I usually buy my fondant from a company that sells it by they bucket full in Toronto. They also make chocolate fondant ( it is so good!!) Anyways, when i need black i just use the chocolate fondant and add black colouring to that. Works great for me.
So you could either try making chocolated fondant or maybe there is somwhere near you that makes it. Just a thought.

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 1:51am
post #6 of 8

How about just using the Wilton Black colourpaste, mixed with alcohol and 'painted on' - that is what I did for the black HAT CAKE...used a soft bristle brush....but have also done larger areas with a 'sponge brush' like you get at the paint shop.....makeup sponge triangle...whatever you have on hand....worked great for me....

themaker Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 8

Great ideas.

Angienajjar - Interesting! What colorpaste are you talking about? I have the Wilton gel colors... is that what you mean? Also what alcohol do you mix it with? Sorry if I should know this. icon_redface.gif My first thought was rubbing alcohol... but that doesn't seem like it would taste too good. icon_lol.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 9 Jul 2007 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 8

You can use vodka or extract to paint with gel colors icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%