80Th Birthday Cake...need Help!

Decorating By CakeRN Updated 8 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm by kakekrafts

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 9:57am
post #1 of 8

My father in law's 80th birthday is next week and I am planning on doing the cake. It is a milestone for him since none of his siblings ever lived to see 80. I thought of making a cake that has a man sitting under a tree and saying something like...." at 80 it's time to relax...Happy Birthday Harry"

Now I am no artist by any stretch of the imagination....so does anyone have any ideas or a sketch that they could share with me. I did a search but didn't come up with much....

Teri

7 replies
Tartacadabra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tartacadabra Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 10:24am
post #2 of 8

Sorry I have no sketch but you could try the coloring pages, they usually have them in all sorts, also of grandfather/mothers. etc. Otherwise maybe google for an image.

Another idea would be to make the cake of an 8 and a 0, then in the 8 make two little ponds where he could be sitting or fishing. But then you have to make a figure of course and I don't know if you were planning to do this icon_smile.gif

I hope it will be a great cake and a great day!!

Good luck!

Lara

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 11:11am
post #3 of 8

Man I came up empty on that search too. I even searched my 2 scrapbooking programs.
I just did a cake close to what your describing last week. It was a man in a hammock between two trees relaxing. I will attach the clip art in case it will help you.
LL

kakekrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakekrafts Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 11:14am
post #4 of 8

Here's a cake I did for my friend's 80 year old dad.Hope this gives you an idea and inspiration.
Good luck!!
LL

melyissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melyissa Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 8

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I don't know if I'm too late or not, but I just did a quick sketch of what you said you were thinking about. I was thinking...if you had him sleeping you wouldn't have to try and frost a face (i hate frosting faces....they look so....cartoonish). Of course, you would have to put the Zzz's so they wouldn't think he passed out or anything!! Anyway, I attached it. Hopefully, it will atleast give you some ideas to go in the right direction. If you need anything else, let me know. I could draw it out better so you could print it and do a transfer or...whatever.

Good luck!
LL

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 8

kakekrafts, your cake is amazing.

Two questions, what are the sticks covering the cake made of and how did you make the chair. In January I did a Blue's Clues cake and had to do a 3D chair. It was so hard, I had nothing to go by and had never done one before. I just winged it and in the end it came out pretty good, but yours is amazing.

Alex

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 2:40am
post #7 of 8

Oh Melyissa your sketch is right on the money...I do have a mold that i can do the man with.

Kakekrafts...your cake is really cute too...how did you do it.

Thanks for all your help....Mely you are a great sketcher....

kakekrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakekrafts Posted 8 Jul 2007 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks guys!!!
Here's how i did it--- The sticks I lined on the cake sides are wafer sticks that i dipped (or coated) in semisweet chocolate. You can use colored chocolate too. Actually, they should be chocolate curls or "cigarettes" as they are so called. But, i dont have the patience to do that plus i have "hot hands". Decorating the cake sides this way also gives me an excuse not to make fondant. Buttercream or boiled icing is easier. For the chair, I used the Blues Clues chair as template. I covered the chair in parts---the back rest, the cushion and the armchairs.

Melyissa, that's good sketch you made. I will keep that in mind when I am tasked to do another "oldies" cake. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%