I Need Help Cakes Are Gummy Or Spongy Like In The Middle!!

Decorating By Trinia Updated 28 Aug 2006 , 4:41pm by KHalstead

Trinia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trinia Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 6

I have tried several different recipes from this site and the Wilton site. Every time I make one from scratch it comes out gummy or spongy like in the middle. I can't explain it. I have baought new baking soda because someone told me it may be the baking soda (even though it had not expired). I hope someone is able to help me because I can't keep throwing cakes away. I don't have this problem with a doctor cakemix.
Please HELP!!!! icon_cry.gif

5 replies
czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 6

Are they baking for long enough or do you have too many cakes in your oven? Toothpicks coming out clean?

Are you following the mixing directions closely?

The cakes aren't cooling in the pan for too long?

hmmmmm.... I had a strange similar scratch cupcake problem a couple weeks ago and it's still a mystery why.

I wonder if new flour would help at all? New baking powder? Eggs? I would think those could be possible problems.

Those are just my guesses.

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 6

Maybe your oven needs to be calibrated and is baking at the wrong tempurature? Maybe you could get a cheap oven thermometer and check it to be sure?? Or maybe you're just desitined to be a cakemix doctorer....I can't bake a scratch cake to save my life... they always come out funky. icon_smile.gif

Diana

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 6

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR CAKE IS NOT DONE IN THE MIDDLE.

Have you tried baking strips?. They help the cake bake evenly avoiding uncooked centers.

Trinia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trinia Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 6

The toothpicks are coming out clean. I will try the baking strips.
It is all a mystery. The first few I made from scratch came out fine.
How long is to long to when leaving the cakes in the pans.
The oven is brand new but I will get a thermometer to test it.
I just want to get it right. I just started in the cake business and still learning alot of new things.
Thanks for your ideas!! thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Aug 2006 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 6

what size are these cakes??? I have this problem a lot with larger cakes....just invert your flower nail in the center and try that.....works like a charm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%