Freezing A Decorated Cake

Decorating By delaware Updated 7 Jul 2007 , 12:08am by Danni

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 4

Sorry if someone has already answered this question. I don't have time today to search the forums.

I have a customer who needs a cake on a Saturday. I am going to be out of town that day. If she picks it up on Monday (5 days before) will it be alright? This is a very good customer of mine, and I would hate to say no to her (she was my very first one icon_smile.gif ) But I don't want the cake to be ruined because it was in the freezer too long. Also what should it be stored in. Would a bakery box be good enough???

Thanks in advance for your help. My fellow CCers have not let me down yet! thumbs_up.gif

Jodi

3 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 4

Jodi,
I have never frozen a decorated cake before, but I have seen posts on here that people have done it...........I would think if you refrigerate first to firm things up, then wrap in saran wrap, then put in a cake box and freeze, you should be ok? If anything else, it should bump you up........

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 4

I havent tried it myself but I have read on other posts that people have wrapped the whole cake box (buttercream cakes, not fondant) in 2 layers of saran wrap and 1 of foil, and then freeze.
They thaw the cake in the box still wrapped so condensation doesnt get on the cake. Not sure if this actually works but wanted to throw it out there. icon_smile.gif
Best of luck!!

Danni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danni Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 12:08am
post #4 of 4

I have frozen decorated cakes, only in BC. I had the cakes in regular cake boxes wrapped with foil. They were in the freezer for about a week in a half, and they were fine. It was for my daugthers 1st b-day, so I was able to ask my family how they tasted, as they are my worst critics. Everyone stated that they tasted great and no one could tell they had been frozen. I took them out late Friday night for the Saturday afternoon party.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%