Picking A Culinary School

Decorating By jesslsteele Updated 7 Jul 2007 , 4:17pm by ombaker

jesslsteele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesslsteele Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 8:13am
post #1 of 6

I have been doing research on which culinary school I want to go to. It seems like I will be attending a school in Houston, Tx . The schools that I am really tied up on are The Art Institute of Houston or Culinary Institute Alain & Marie LeNorte. I would really love it if you could give me some instight on which would be better. I am going to the open houses of both to get a inside look at both schools to see if that will help.
Thank you soo very much,
Jessica

5 replies
SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 6 Jul 2007 , 8:48am
post #2 of 6

I don't know a whole lot about culinary schools, but the only advice I can give you (from applying to grad school) is that you should think not just about the school, but about the location of the school, and whether you would be happy living in that location for however long the program is. I know that's not too much help, but its a bump anyway icon_smile.gif

jesslsteele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesslsteele Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 6

they are both in the same town so I am just confused on which would look better i am going to visit both to get a visial maybe that will help

mjjandz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjjandz Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 6

After High School I went to Johson and Whales ir RI. That was there only school at the time.

I am very sorry now I did not take any baking classes

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 6

I live in TX, too, and I looked into this a bit. I would so totally go to the Cordon Bleu in Austin. I know you said Houston, but Austin is just a couple of hours down the road!

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 7 Jul 2007 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 6

I went to the Art Institute of Phoenix. There are a few things I like about this chain over some of the bigger schools. #1 the class size is generally much smaller so there is a lot more hands on and more attention from the instructor. #2 the Baking and Pastry course also gives you a kitchen basics semester and I have found in my career that it has come in very handy. The most important thing I've found is that no matter what school you choose you come out knowing very little about the real world of baking and everyone starts at the same place. WE have a famous Culinary school here in town and every one of the people I have worked with from there know less than I do and have this attitude that they are already master chefs. Not true. I would go for the smaller less expensive school, work really hard to get as much hands on as you can and enjoy the experiance. Once you get out into the field, the real education begins.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%