Smoothing Out A Cake

Decorating By huntaustmom Updated 27 Aug 2006 , 4:02pm by cakemommy

huntaustmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huntaustmom Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 7

I keep reading to smooth out a cake with VIVA paper towels. How are you doing this. Please explain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 replies
PGray315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PGray315 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 7

Here is a link to an article explaining how to do this. Hope it helps. I use it all the time! icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/article10-How-To-Create-Faux-Fondant-The-Paper-Towel-Method----Viva.html

Crakerz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crakerz01 Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 7

Because the viva paper towels are not printed you can use them to smooth. You just place the towel over the cake and use your hand or a fondant smoother to go over the crusted frosting until it is smooth. Repeat on the sides. I think there is a tutorial on this website for it. Just type in viva method in the search bar.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 26 Aug 2006 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 7

I use kitchen roll (I'm in the UK, it's like thick toilet paper) it just provides a pad between your hand and the cake and allows you to smooth all shapes using the warmth of your hand.

huntaustmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huntaustmom Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you I am going to try this to my next cake.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 7

You can add designs to your cake by using papertowels with designs on them also!!
just wanted to share
icon_wink.gif

have fun!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 27 Aug 2006 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 7

I love using the Viva paper towels! I never use my hand however because it (my hand) leaves little bumps or waves if you will in the icing! I can't manage to keep the pressure the same all over the cake apparently!!! icon_confused.gif

Anyway, I use an angled metal spatula. Depending on the size of the cake I use the large or small one. For the corners/edges of my sheet cakes I have the papertowel drape over the top,side, and on the cake board. I use a small angled spatula and a large/wide cookie spatula. The cookie spatula provides a guide for my small spatula and help form right angles! I place it on the paper towel on the top edge of my cake. I always use that method for my sheet cakes and the corners and edges are unbelievably sharp!!!!!!!!

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%