Baking In A Bowl?

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 30 Jun 2008 , 10:36pm by NikkiDoc

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:55am
post #1 of 11

has anyone done this? i have to do it for a cake i want to do but not sure how it works... can i just use any stainless steel bowl in the oven?

10 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 11:59am
post #2 of 11

just like baking in anything else. (or in this case a wondermold on steroids! icon_rolleyes.gif )

grease well.

fill half to 2/3 (may wish to measure bowl capacity in advance to be sure you make/use right amount of batter)

use heating core (due to depth and amount of batter)

may wish to bake lower (325) to be sure it cooks evenly.

stainless steel bowl is sturdier than flimsy stamped aluminum pan -- so no problem there.

HTH

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 11

put on a cookie sheet in case of over flow in the oven! Trust me it's a nasty mess after it bubbles over! icon_rolleyes.gif

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 11

I just recently baked a cake in my stainless steel bowl. I wanted a rounded top for my cheeseburger cake. I used a flower nail and baked my cake at 325 degrees. I will be doing this again next week to make another cheeseburger cake. I will use my bigger bowl though. I used the 8" bowl and I needed a bigger "top bun".

darkchocolate

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 11

I have a set of 8 bowls that my MIL got me for my birthday and they are stoneware that is safe for baking, freezing and just about anything! They are contoured on top so I have just been waiting to use them.....but a cheeseburger might just do the trick.....thanks for a thought!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 11

icon_razz.gif What a dolt I am! I never thought of using my stainless steel bowls!! I have a whole set I got for my last birthday... Thanks for the post! icon_biggrin.gif

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 11

Pyrex bowls work well, too! thumbs_up.gif

Bec

lynda-bob Posted 3 Jul 2007 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 11

I used to have one lonely pyrex bowl icon_lol.gif and I'd use that, but I broke it... icon_cry.gif Then I got that stainless set this year. Yay, more converted cake toys!!! icon_razz.gif

Lynda

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 11

Can anyone tell me...do you need to use a flower nail? I am going to bake in a bowl for the first time next week...6 cup pyrex.

lynda-bob Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 8:55pm
post #10 of 11

I've done small bowls without the nail and they were fine. But when I've done bigger ones, I use the flower nail just to be safe. I also (but this is with every cake now) bake them at 300 degrees and just keep a good eye on them. HTH icon_smile.gif

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 30 Jun 2008 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks Lynda. I've been doing that too. In the apartment I rent the oven temp is about 25 deg hotter than it says!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%