Fondant Rose Questions.

Decorating By sue_dye Updated 22 Jun 2005 , 8:35pm by Rookie68

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 9

I'm practicing on make fondant roses. first question- How long do they need to dry? second question- after they dry how do I store them?

8 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 18 Jun 2005 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 9

Give them at least 24 hours, may even take up to 48 hours. I stor mine in tupperware like containers.

cake4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4you Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 9

sue_dye....

I let mine dry for a week, and upside down so the petals don't fall (I do mine on toothpicks, and stick them into foam)....you can see a pic of them in my photos, it is the Wilton Course III grand finale cake......

sue_dye Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 9

cake4you
Thanks, I took all three classes, but we never did fondant roses. I think I may do course three again. I took my classes back in 1998, All you did with fondant back then was the clown cake. I want to learn more about how to make the rose and some other flowers.

Have a nice day. icon_cool.gif

smoothc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smoothc Posted 21 Jun 2005 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 9

cake4you,
I have taken the Wilton courses 1-3 and like sue_dye the only thing that we made with fondant was a clown cake. I am very interested in learning how to make flowers with fondant. Could you please share with us how you learned to make fondant roses or give us an ideal where we can look for learning materials/directions on how to make fondant roses?

Thank you in advance
icon_biggrin.gif

cake4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4you Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 1:09pm
post #6 of 9

smoothc -

If you can get your hands on a wilton course 3 book, the step by step directions are in there, I looked on the wilton site and the directions on there are different than the way we learned in class. I can tell you we did make them witht he wilton step saving cutters and it made it super easy....

If you can't get your hands on the book, e-mail me and I will give you the directions straight from my book. [email protected]

Rookie68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rookie68 Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Sue-Dye,

I was told by my instructor that the starter bud should dry at least 24 hours before you put petals on and it seems to work for me. Others could have a different experience. Also I learned that in order for your petals not to droop while drying you could get those "bon bon" cups sold at Michaels, AC moore etc and place them under your flower while drying.

HTH!

Peggy

sue_dye Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 9

Hi Peggy,
Thanks for the info, I will let the starter bud dry next time. I like the way the fondant flowers look. Should I put gum tex in the fondant as well?

Rookie68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rookie68 Posted 22 Jun 2005 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 9

Glad I could help. Yes we used gum tex in our fondant to help the flowers dry much faster.

Peggy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%