Satin Ice Gumpaste..love It Or Hate It?

Decorating By juliecake Updated 2 Jul 2007 , 11:36pm by KoryAK

juliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliecake Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 8

I want to purchase a new brand of premade gumpaste and am looking at Satin Ice. Anyone have good or bad experiences with it? How is the drying time?

7 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 8

Satin Ice gumpaste is what I mainly use. I love its texture and workability. Drying time would depend on how thin or big your gumpaste items are, and how humid it is where you live.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 8

I like it too! It's better than the gumpaste I was making at home...more consistent. I hate making fondant and gumpaste for some reason so I'd much rather buy it and save myself the time and headache.

Courtney

acurt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acurt Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 8

I think Satin Ice has a good taste, but for me, it seems to get more firm once the cakes are covered than other fondants I have tried. The outer portion seems to get hard but the inner portion closest to the cake is fine. It just makes it a little harder to cut through and gives it a more chewy texture than other fondants. White chocolate fondant or Pettinice fondant doesn't do this. However, when molding, Satin Ice firms up better and is easier for me to use with silicone molds and making figures.

acurt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acurt Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 8

I think Satin Ice has a good taste, but for me, it seems to get more firm once the cakes are covered than other fondants I have tried. The outer portion seems to get hard but the inner portion closest to the cake is fine. It just makes it a little harder to cut through and gives it a more chewy texture than other fondants. White chocolate fondant or Pettinice fondant doesn't do this. However, when molding, Satin Ice firms up better and is easier for me to use with silicone molds and making figures.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 8

I use Satin Ice gumpaste as well. It doesn't dry as quickly as some of the other brands - but I like that. If I need something really hard really quick I pop in the dehydrator. Go and get it!

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I use Satin Ice gumpaste as well. It doesn't dry as quickly as some of the other brands - but I like that. If I need something really hard really quick I pop in the dehydrator. Go and get it!

I do the same thing with the dehydrator. I'm always waiting till the last minute to make things so I end up having to use the dehydrator a lot, LOL. This past weekend I made a standing up "16" to go on the top of a cake and it only dried overnight and wasn't dry all the way, but I used it anyway and it held up fine.

Courtney

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Jul 2007 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%