Filling Ideas, Anyone?

Decorating By mjlaw78 Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 12:05am by elvis

mjlaw78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjlaw78 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:58pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for my son's first birthday this weekend and was looking for filling ideas. The only thing I have used before is buttercream and dulce de leche for a german chocolate cake. So I have no idea what fillings go with what. I am going to make one chocolate cake and one strawberry and thought this would be a good time to try fillings? I would love any suggestions. Thank you
Janelle

6 replies
elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 7

For kids parties, I like chocolate chip buttercream in chocolate cakes-- I use the mini chocolate chips! (add a little peppermint extract for mint chocolate chip, but that's usu. more popular with older kids!) --

I also love chocolate mousse filling, you can make it with instant pudding, just substitute heavy cream for the milk- very good! (but needs refrigeration). Whipped ganache takes a little longer but is always great!

Simple whipped cream frosting is always good in strawberry cake!! You could add a glaze of pureed frozen strawberries along with it! Good luck! :O)

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 7

For strawberry:

vanilla buttercream or Polaner All Fruit strawberry preserves. Maybe cream cheese buttercream, white chocolate or lemon accented buttercream? white chocolate or dark chocolate ganache?

for Chocolate:

ganache, raspberry or strawberry preserves, peanut butter buttercream, nutella, cherry preserves......

HTH

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 7

Someone posted this link on another link:

http://www.wrenscottage.com/kitchen/index.php

There are a ton of cake and filling recipes. The only one I tried was the Praline Pecan Filling. It was really really sweet. Hope this helps.

mjlaw78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjlaw78 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you all for your replies, I think for the chocolate I will try the chocolate chip buttercream, do you just make regular buttercream and then just add the mini chips? And maybe cream cheese for the strawberry
Thank you again
Janelle

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 7

..the Cookies and Cream filling (made with oreos) is great with chocolate cake!

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 12:05am
post #7 of 7

Hi- yes, for the chocolate chip buttercream, just choose your favorite buttercream and mix in the mini chocolate chips. (Same thing with oreo buttercream too -- Have fun! :O)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%