Major Problem With Wedding Cake

Decorating By candyladyhelen Updated 1 Jul 2007 , 4:01pm by bbase

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 9

My first cake problem in 35 years happened yesterday. I worked so hard on this one. It had hand made Gerber Daisies, Calli Lillies, & roses, all in three colors of deep coral, lite coral & tan. 4 tier cake. 16", 12", 8" & 6". Got to the hall & opened the door & the top 3 tiers had slid off, not all the way, but alot. They carried it in & again, another first for me, did not bring a patch kit with me. Ran home to get it all. Came back & used pancake turners to bring back the tiers. I was able to patch it all up as best I could. It had cornelli lace all over the tiers too. The bottom tier was sinking & had large cracks all over it. I just felt so bad for the bride & groom. It was at my church too, so I knew alot of the people there. One woman came up to me to say I did a good job of patching it up. And said we will pray for you. Turns out it's the grooms mom. She wasn't even upset. But it just killed me. I told her to tell the bride that I am refunding the money. That's a killer too. It was almost $600.00. But I can't in good faith, keep it. The photographer was there early so he got many pictures of it before I had to patch it up. So the pix look good.

8 replies
jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 9

WOW...so sorry. What do you think happened? Was it the weather? I'm hopeful the wedding couple were as sweet and understanding as the groom's mom.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 9

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Hugs!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 9

OH NO !! A nightmare come true ! I feel so sorry for you.... (( HUGS ))

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 9

I'm sorry this happened to you! Your cakes are absolutely gorgeous and I have no doubt that your repairs made the cake like new!

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 9

Wow, you are so kind to do that for the new couple, not to mention the amount of time and money you put in to making it.

Your cakes are beautiful, I bet this one was gorgeous.

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:02pm
post #7 of 9

It was probably the heat and humidity that made the cake slide. I have no doubt it was absolutely awesome before and even after the repairs. We'll pray that this is the last time this happens.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you all.
I'm not sure what the problem was. I have made larger cakes that 4 tiers, with no problem. I had so many dowels in it too. I had the dowel down the middle of all tiers.

bbase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbase Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 9

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday but instead of 35 years experience it was my first tiered cake. I researched and did everthing by the book It was the most horrible thing!!!!!!!!!!! It will be a very long time before I try this again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%