Stacking Help

Decorating By Debbie1957 Updated 30 Jun 2007 , 12:11am by miriel

Debbie1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie1957 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 10:26am
post #1 of 6

I'm contemplating a reception cake for my niece. I don't do tiers however if I bake a single layer 1/2 or 3/4 sheet and put a single layer scallop or double heart on top do I really need dowels? Since one cane make a two layer cake with no support I thought it would be ok.

5 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 6

That should be okay. If you do place the heart on a board it will make it easier to serve. If i place a single layer cake ontop of a sheet i usually just place that on a board and use some drinking straws for my added piece of mind.

If you have available to you, you could rent or purchase one of the stands that you just placethe cakes on. Then just make a couple of layer cakes to place on it. With some fresh or silk flowers you can have a very nice cake that will look very much like a wedding cake.

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 6

I would definitely use a board and dowels just becuase it makes it so much easier to serve and you should have no fears of collapsing or sinking. JMO

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 12:49pm
post #4 of 6

I'd definietly use a board under the top cake so it can be lifted off before serving. I'd also add straws underneath for some support. It doesn't hurt to add that little measure of insurance.

Debbie1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie1957 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 6

ok, sounds like a board and straws is the way to go. I have read on here to put powdered sugar and parchment paper (which I don't have) between the board and the bottom cake. Can I use wax paper? I usually just use cardboard and cover with heavy duty foil taped to the under side of the board. Can I still do this since there will be some sort of barrier between the top and bottom cake? Good thing this is a freebie. It also dawned on me that I probably should do the little one that they save. That one will probaby be on the side...boxed separately. Thanks for the advice so far.........I love this site!!!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 30 Jun 2007 , 12:11am
post #6 of 6

You can use wax paper and powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%