Truck Cake Help Needed

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 29 Jun 2007 , 2:48am by Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 1:57am
post #1 of 8

Hi y'all icon_smile.gif
I have to make a replica 1965 Chevrolet Truck Cake. I have an idea in my head as to how I want to make it but was wondering if maybe y'all had some easy steps to do it. I want it to look like it is raised off the cake and sitting on it's tires. I'm planning on using support columns at each point where a tire can cover them up. However, how should I make the tires? I mean, like, what should I make them out of? I know the outside will be fondant so I can put treads on them but is there someting I should use that is round to cover with the fondant or do you think I should just use fondant only? Any and all suggestions will be grately appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Lazy_Susan

7 replies
jackie813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie813 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:02am
post #2 of 8

I made a truck cake not to long ago that is in my pics and I used donuts for the tires.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:05am
post #3 of 8

I've made tires out of RK treats and also cake mush (cake mixed with tiny bit of icing) then covered with fondant.

Lazy_Susan Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:07am
post #4 of 8

Those are pretty cool ideas icon_smile.gif I'll have to keep them in mind.

Thanks

cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:08am
post #5 of 8

I made a truck cake a few years ago. the picture is in my gallery (I am slowly adding pics). I sorta cheated. I found an old toy that my son used to play with and ripped off the car. The tired were connectd together with a thick wire so i just glued that to the botton of a cake board. I put icing on the top of the board and then set the cake on it.
The truck rested in a pile of cupcakes made to look like sand so i knew that it would not roll.

Not sure if that helps at all but I figured you guys have helped me a bunch so I will offer my 2 cents when I can.
thanks!

Lazy_Susan Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:09am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohen1

I made a truck cake a few years ago. the picture is in my gallery (I am slowly adding pics). I sorta cheated. I found an old toy that my son used to play with and ripped off the car. The tired were connectd together with a thick wire so i just glued that to the botton of a cake board. I put icing on the top of the board and then set the cake on it.
The truck rested in a pile of cupcakes made to look like sand so i knew that it would not roll.

Not sure if that helps at all but I figured you guys have helped me a bunch so I will offer my 2 cents when I can.
thanks!

Thank you very much! The more ideas the better icon_smile.gif

icingpraises Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingpraises Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:18am
post #7 of 8

Hi Lazy-susan!
Back in the fall I did a dump-truck cake for a young boy's b-day. I was so pleased with how it came out since it was probably the most difficult cake I had done to that point. I used the instructions for the base that is detailed in Wilton's Celebrate with Fondant book. It is simply styro blocks cut to act as supports under a cardboard platform, all covered in foil, and all hidden by the truck and tires once assembled. I soooo wish I had my digital camera at the time so I could post it on here for you, but I had to take pictures with a regular camera, but if I can find the negatives, I am going to put it on a disk so I can get it on here asap. Of course I don't know how much time you have, so that timing may not be at all helpful for you.....
Maybe you have this book? If not, maybe I could try to help with more detailed instructions or something, or someone else may be able to do better. I hope this helps some, I'll be glad to help further if I can. icon_smile.gif

Robin

Lazy_Susan Posted 29 Jun 2007 , 2:48am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingpraises

Hi Lazy-susan!
Back in the fall I did a dump-truck cake for a young boy's b-day. I was so pleased with how it came out since it was probably the most difficult cake I had done to that point. I used the instructions for the base that is detailed in Wilton's Celebrate with Fondant book. It is simply styro blocks cut to act as supports under a cardboard platform, all covered in foil, and all hidden by the truck and tires once assembled. I soooo wish I had my digital camera at the time so I could post it on here for you, but I had to take pictures with a regular camera, but if I can find the negatives, I am going to put it on a disk so I can get it on here asap. Of course I don't know how much time you have, so that timing may not be at all helpful for you.....
Maybe you have this book? If not, maybe I could try to help with more detailed instructions or something, or someone else may be able to do better. I hope this helps some, I'll be glad to help further if I can. icon_smile.gif

Robin

Actually, that's kind of exactly what I was thinking of doing. I'm going to put a block under the middle of the truck and then at each tire I'll have supports that will be covered by the tires.
Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%