Strange Request-Cake For A Dog

Baking By BaltimoreCoutureCakes Updated 18 Jul 2007 , 6:15am by ceshell

BaltimoreCoutureCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaltimoreCoutureCakes Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 18

I have been asked to make a birthday cake for a dog. I have no idea of where to find a recipe for a cake that a dog can eat. Please help!!! Also would like ideas on what to do. I was thinking of a cat shaped cake.

17 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 18

This cracks me up! I've seen threads on here before about cakes being ordered for pets. I know there are pet owners who are (in my humble opinion) fanatics about their pet, but ordering a birthday cake for them???? Hep me, Rhonda!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 18
ckhagen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckhagen Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 18

There are pet bakeries here in my town (two or three of them! in a very small town) that specialize in gormet pet baked goods and birthday cakes. I think it's kind of crazy to pay $50 for a dog birthday cake, but to each his own.
There's a pet spa too that does birthday parties where you bring all of the dogs "friends" (ie, your friends pets) and they do a spa day for them with lunch. icon_rolleyes.gif
I guess I won't launch into my diatribe about how there are children in the world who don't even get breakfast, muchless a birthday party...
tapedshut.gif

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 18

Please make sure it doesn't contain any chocolate - chocolate can be lethal for some dogs.

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 18

Oh My..how funny...What do you use as the frosting part?

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 18

This should be everything you need to know, http://www.party-photo-favors.com/dog_birthday_cake_recipes.htm

I have a wonderful Canine Cookie recipe I have been making for my 4 legged child for years if you want it too.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 2:54pm
post #8 of 18

Why don't you talk to the owner to see what they prefer. I know that my dog loves regular cake and buttercream. I sometimes give her some cake scraps as a treat.

A friend and I started doing a birthday party for my dog (she and her son are the only guests) several years ago primarily as a distraction for her then 6-year-old son after her husband left.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby

Please make sure it doesn't contain any chocolate - chocolate can be lethal for some dogs.

Or raisins. They are also can be lethal for dogs.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 18

I understand that dogs cannot have anything with chocolate in it....but other than that I think it is kind of funny that we always think we have to make something really healthy for the dog to eat....then we human beings eat CAKE rich, sweet, gooey, yummy cake. Like it is really good for us. As for the design...I know my dog doesn't know she is a dog..she thinks she is a people. I would just make a fun design. Maybe something summery. Maybe a pool scene or beach scene. You could even have dogs laying out on the beach or swimming in the pool.

BaltimoreCoutureCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaltimoreCoutureCakes Posted 1 Jul 2007 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 18

Thanks for all the replies. The owner wants a piece of meat with a bone sticking out of it. Hope it works..

aurasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aurasmom Posted 15 Jul 2007 , 1:19am
post #12 of 18

My cats get a can of human tuna formed into a cake shape with thin ham slice cut outs for decoration.

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 4:05am
post #13 of 18

Rachael Ray's latest magazine has recipes for dogs! Our 90 lb. Golden Ret. ate a whole bowl of dark Dove chocolate foil-wrapped Easter eggs one year, he moped around a bit for a day, but was fine! But I know that in general, chocolate is a don't for dogs.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 9:31am
post #14 of 18

I have a recipe for dog biscuits, if you want it, just PM me with your email address.

It is strictly for dogs, and I haven't made it yet, so I can't tell you how it tastes OR smells.. hehe

Maybe you could make it into a cake shape, instead of cutting them into biscuits. Just a thought.

icon_smile.gif

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 10:23am
post #15 of 18

This is so funny. I love my dogs and I remember their birthdays but never thought of baking them a cake! icon_rolleyes.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Jul 2007 , 5:46pm
post #16 of 18

I found this..

Peanutbutter Delight

1 cup white or whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup shredded carrots
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup honey
1 egg

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)

Mix together flour and baking soda. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into a ring mold sprayed with a nonstick spray for 40 minutes.

Frost this cake with low fat cottage cheese and decorate with carrot pieces. Store in refrigerator.

and this..

Banana Carob Frosting

2 cups mashed ripe banana
1 Tbs butter
6 Tbs carob powder
2 tsp vanilla
3 Tbs Unbleached flour
1 tsp cinnamon

I got them here http://www.dog-treat-recipe-exchange.com/dog_birthday_cake_recipes.html

They had a few others too.. my pup will be really happy for his birthday in the fall.. icon_lol.gif

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 5:57am
post #17 of 18

I guess I can just go ahead and paste the recipe here, for those who don't like handing their email out to strangers. I can't say that I blame you. Here is the recipe I have... as I said before, I haven't made it yet and it is for dogs only.

If anyone tries it, let me know how it turns out. I plan on trying it, but it probably won't be any time soon, as I'm a little busy for a while.

Good luck, and I hope your dogs enjoy. icon_smile.gif

GOOD DOG BISCUITS  
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup liver powder (available at
health food stores)
2 tablespoons brewer's yeast powder
1/4 cup bone meal powder
3 tablespoons powdered milk
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons wheat germ oil (you may substitute bacon drippings)
1/2 cup water

This healthy and economical treat is reserved for your four-legged friends only!

Your dog will thank you if you make a double batch.

Preheat the oven to 325~F.

In a large bowl or in the food processor, combine the flour, oatmeal, cornmeal, liver powder, brewer's yeast, bone meal, and powdered milk (may also add beef or chicken bouillon cubes).

Stir in the eggs, oil, and water and mix thoroughly.

The dough will be very stiff and dry (much like dog biscuits!)

Remove the dough to a lightly floured surface or pastry cloth.

Roll or pat it into a rectangle 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.

Cut into bone-shaped biscuits with a small knife, or use a bone-shaped cookie cutter.

Re-roll the leftover scraps of dough and cut into shapes until all the dough is used.

Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 40 to 50 minutes until brown and dried through.

Cool on a rack.

Yield: About 12 large bones or 24 small ones.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Jul 2007 , 6:15am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreCoutureCakes

Also would like ideas on what to do. I was thinking of a cat shaped cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreCoutureCakes

Thanks for all the replies. The owner wants a piece of meat with a bone sticking out of it. Hope it works..

Too funny! I loved your cat idea (and I have a cat, but I also have a sick sense of humor icon_wink.gif ). Have you seen adven68 's meat cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%