Wilton Level 3 Question

Decorating By diz Updated 16 Aug 2006 , 8:31pm by LickDaBowl

diz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diz Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 19

I have 4 40% off coupons burning a hole in my pocket (they need to be used up by friday) and I am going to be taking level 3 for wiltons.

What "supplies" did you need to buy other than the "kit" (I am in Canada so I assume the kit is the same in the states?).

Thank you.

18 replies
hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 19

I would recommend Wiltons floral pack of colors. You learn more "realistic" flowers and I preferred how the flowers looked that were made by the ladies in my class who used those colors.

Your final project is a stacked cake. If you want to experiment, you can look at the different columns/plates available. The ones in the kit are more traditional that what most brides want in this area.

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 19

I would get the fondant roll mat. Not just the one they give you in the kit. it's not big enough. Not really sure other than that.

COLIEB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
COLIEB Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 19

Well you will definitely need some fondant, that is for sure. Maybe a box to take home your last cake since it'll be a big one, two cakes total. I am a WMI and am trying to think of what else we do in Course 3? As long as you have the kit, you are in good shape. If you are running low on meringue powder, maybe a container of that since you'll be making the petunias, lilly's etc. The kit comes with stamens for the lilly's but if you want some different prettier ones, they have them in the Wilton aisle also. Piping gel too would be good, helps make those pretty points on the leaves, lilly's, pointsetta's etc. Hope this helps..

~ColieB

diz Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 19

I have the garden colours already.

The roll mat. good to know. added to the list!

diz Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 19

do I need any pans?

Right now I only have an 8 x 3 inch and the oval one that I am going to do for level 2?

COLIEB Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 19

Just thought of something else -- a rolling pin if you don't have one! icon_smile.gif

COLIEB Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 19

I recommend two pans - any shape you want, but for course 3 you want them to have a 2 inch differential - so if you have an 8 inch, maybe invest in a 10 in?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 19

I would definately get the fondant smoother if you don't have one and the fondant rolling pin would be handy.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 19

How about the large rolling pin for rolling out the fondant for the cake? I love mine!

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 19

Do you know about Hobby Lobby's sale they have everything Wilton 50%. I am also taking Course 3 you should get the big box of fondant. The big mat too the one in the kit is too small and a big rooling pin too not the little one. Also the pans for the final cake I think is a 10" and a 6" that's all I can think of I will be taking course 3 weeks three on Monday

chrikky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrikky Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:13pm
post #12 of 19

I agree - a large rolling pin and fondant mat would be very handy.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 19

You will be making a gift box cake first so you will need a square pan. Plus like everyone has said your final cake will be a stacked wedding cake so you will need to size pans for that.

The rolling pin is a must have. A nice big one. Not the small little one.

A large thing of fondant is going to be needed as you do two cakes with fondant.

I got the ribbon cutter set and some other cut outs so I could make my first gift box cake a bit different then the one in the book. But you don't need those really.

Other then that you won't need anything that is not in your kit. Did you buy your kit yet? If not, get that.

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:20pm
post #14 of 19

For my Wilton 3 I needed a square pan to do the box cake. I was kidding with my instructor that this was the "Purchase Class". Even though I had a ton of stuff it was amazing how much more I needed.

10" square Fanci-Foil covered cake board
Wooden dowel rods of various dimensions
Rolling Pin-okay I already had one, but wanted a new one
Fondant-big box
Gel colors-didn't want to use the ones I had
petal dust and luster dust-not Wilton
Dusting Puff-for cornstarch
Fondant smoother
foil squares
foil candy cups
garland marker

I cant remeber what else. Good Luck!

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:26pm
post #15 of 19

I would get the 20 inch rolling pin

diz Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:44pm
post #16 of 19

Our cake here in Canada is not a box cake. It is a tierred cake.

We do not have a Hobby Lobby store. We get Michaels Coupons every week for 40% off ONE item in the store.

cake4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake4you Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 5:45pm
post #17 of 19

diz - I assume you will be taking the courses at Michales in Whitby...I took all three there as well, in course 3 you will do 2 cakes, a square present one in week 2 and a tiered one in week 4.....

PM me if you need any more info....

diz Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:25pm
post #18 of 19

Thanks.

She only mentioned one cake, that is why I thought it was just one.. maybe it slipped her mind!

LickDaBowl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LickDaBowl Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:31pm
post #19 of 19

But if you read the Michael's coupon carefully, I think it says "One per customer per day," so if you have more than one, you either go different days or have a friend go with you. That's not cheating is it?

Danielle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%