Shelf Life Of Sweetex?

Decorating By MommaLlama Updated 16 Aug 2006 , 10:40pm by MommaLlama

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 19

How long does Sweetex last in the pantry?

18 replies
MommaLlama Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 19

1 month? 6 months? 1 year?

Anybody?? I've had mine for about 4 months, do you guys think it's still good??

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 19

Should be fine for 6 to 12 months as long as it is stored in a cool dark place.

My hi ratio is all most 1 year old, and I just made 3 batches of frosting and it tasted great. I store mine in the pantry, in the corner. I have about 15 lbs left out of 50lbs.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 12:51pm
post #4 of 19

leans- what is the recipe you use for BC using hi-ratio?

MommaLlama Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 19

Leana, where are you in CA? I live in Bakersfield.

justsweet Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 19

MommaLlama - I live in Hollister.

patton78 - here is the recipe I use. I store it in buckets and make a couple a weeks ahead of time. Great in all types of weather. Has not butter.

Fabulous frosting; smooth out nicely using viva paper towels.

1 lb 5.5 oz (3 cups) shortening Crisco or Hi ration

2 lbs powder sugar - sifted

¼ cup water

2 tps favoring - (vanilla, vanilla and almond, etc.)

Beat shortening for a little bit. Slowly add powder sugar, water and flavoring.

Now I use very warm water helps make the icing nice and smooth.

I also you other flavorings, like loranns cheesecake for the icing.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:40pm
post #7 of 19

Oooh, cheesecake flavored buttercream sounds yummy!! So, is it true that the Sweetex makes a smoother BC than Crisco?

MommaLlama Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 19

Do you think that hi- ratio shortning smells or tastes any different than crisco, or is it a texture only thing?

justsweet Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 19

Hi ratio makes a big differance. Crisco is so greasy. When I am done frosting a cake and need to was my stuff NO greasy feeling. The frosting taste way differant. You will notice a differance now some people like certain brands of hi ratio. I have good and bad about sweetex but you just have to try it. Some people love alpine better the sweetex again a matter of taste and some people can only get certain brands in their area. I have the SYSCO 50lbs and other people have tried and liked it better then some of the other bands they have tried. It cost me $29 from the cash and carry store. Wayyyyy cheaper then what crisco cost.

Hi Ratio Shortening brands.

http://www.sysco.com/aboutus/contactus.asp
item number 4003869 shortening cake cube all vegetable
(50lbs for $29, local store in Hayward (510) 481-1515, called cake shortening)

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/13/CLID/146/N/4471/Hunt_Wesson_-_Wesson_Shortening.ht (50lbs super quick blend 50lbs $56.45)

Other brands: Alpine, Biscot 140, Blendex, COVO S.M., Cremelite, CRISCO HI-RATIO, Golden Glow, XXX crème, Monarch Covo Sm (Icings & Cakes), Monarch Covo Sm - Non Hydro
Monarch XXX Cream (for Icings), Monarch Artisan Cremin (for buttercream icing - just whip & use)
Monarch M300 (Icing Base), Canbra Hi Ratio (Cakes) AND SweeteX Hi Ratio Shortening

http://www.bakemark.com/ (32621 Central Ave., Union City 510-487-818icon_cool.gif

MommaLlama Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 19

Do you go to the Sysco store to buy this shortening? I lookes at the web site and they only deliver if you are a business. This stuff is way cheaper than buying Sweetex or Alpine at about 80.00 for 50#. I need to find where I can get Cake shortening.

justsweet Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:11pm
post #11 of 19

Ok, I called SYSCO they only have a cash and carry store in Hayward no other ones in CA. You can try and call bakemark and see if they have a cash and carry store. Their 50lbs is about the same price as SYSCO. Or try the WESCO link and see how much to ship from the LA area. I will see if I can find any other place for you to buy.

justsweet Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 19

here is the company that makes sweetex you can call and see if they can find someone close to you.

http://www.achfood.com/contact.html

50lbs of sweetex for $70 you will need to see how much to ship (1.40 per pound)

http://www.chefswarehouse.com/Catalog/DisplayDetail.aspx?prd_id=GS235

here is this - same company makes sweetex. call to find more info. first box, 50lbs icing shortening

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm/S/13/CLID/1866/N/88152/Ach_National_-_Icing_&_Shortenings.htm

I will so some more search for you. Or if you ever plan going to gilroy for some shopping I can pick up a cube for you but I will need a few weeks notice becuase I can only go on a saturday and I will have to order it for you.

justsweet Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 7:15pm
post #13 of 19

try here see if you can buy - go down to icing shortening

http://www.gfgb.com/products/shortening_products.htm

icing shortening here, see if you can buy from them

http://www.bungenorthamerica.com/products/ourmarkets/baking.htm

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 19

Once I started using sweetex I never went back to crisco. There is a world of difference in the smell and taste. It makes a much lighter tasting bc, in my opinion. It's pricey, but worth it. I've used alpine also, but still prefer sweetex.

Iwas told it would last just as long in the pantry as crisco does, and when it's bad you'll smell it right away. It smells rancid.

Mickig icon_smile.gif

MommaLlama Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 19

Well, I made sugarshack's frosting recipe using the sweetex. So far I have added 6 Tsp of flavor vanilla etc..., all I taste is sweetex! Am I just not used to the taste, or maybe I haven't added enough flavorings. I do like the mouthfeel better, but just not sure if it is right. Can anyone else taste Sweetex in frosting??

MommaLlama Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 9:02pm
post #16 of 19

Thank you so much leana for looking all of that up for me. It seems that companies that sell it are mosty for businesses and restaurants. I will probably have to buy it from the cake shop here in town and pay the $80. for it. Maybe some day I will own a business and get everyrting I need cheaper/wholsale. Thanks again. So can you taste sweetex in your frosting?

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:16pm
post #17 of 19

MommaLllama, I've never been able to taste the sweetex in the icing. That's why I like it. I think it's more subdued than crisco is. I'm not sure why you might be tasting it, except that it might not be fresh enough. I don't remember if you said in your post how old it is. Maybe you could try a little butter flavoring.

Mickig icon_smile.gif

MommaLlama Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:22pm
post #18 of 19

It is four months old. Maybe I should get some new and try again.

MommaLlama Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 10:40pm
post #19 of 19

Well, my DH came home and loves the frosting I made w/ the sweetex. He said, "I would eat a whole bunch of that if I could". Maybe it's just me. The sweetex itself doesn't smell bad, but I can smell it. Like dough, maybe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%