Fast Help!! Cakes Are Sticking

Decorating By alman Updated 19 Aug 2006 , 11:47pm by Narie

alman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alman Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 11

It's been a while since I've baked using 9x2 cake pans (I've used bigger sizes). I used the "Super" enchance cake recipe from CC (by the way I love it) and I just pulled my cakes out of the oven and they are sticking. The recipe says to bake at 330 degrees for 65 minutes. They looked ready after being in the oven for 40 minutes and the tops of the cakes were browning very well. The cakes are super moist but is it possible they need to cook longer in order for them not to stick. I HAVE to make some more, today and I can't salave these. THANKS!!

10 replies
candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 11

Did you use a crisco type shortening then flour in each pan b/4 you put the batter in? If you just use Pam spray, the cakes will stick. Then you have to let them sit in the pan for about 10 minutes b/4 taking them out.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 11

What do you mean by "sticking"? Is is possible you need to place a flower nail in the center to help them bake more evenly?

alman Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 11

I DID use only Pam. I was really wondering about that but I've done it before and didn't really have problem. But, I have now mixed up another batch of batter, used Crisco AND flour on my pans, and the cakes are in the oven now.

When I say "sticking", I mean that after the cakes have cooled, when I take them out of the pan, the bottoms stick to the cake pan.

Thanks, all!

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 11

Next time, try lining you pan with parchment or waxed paper. I usually put some Pam or grease in the pan first so the paper sticks, and then grease the paper as well. Obviously this won't work very well with character pans or pans without a flat bottom....for those I use Wilton's Cake Release.

lizzy5212010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzy5212010 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 7:30pm
post #6 of 11

I use Wilton Cake Release I have never heard of anyone to have troble with it if the cake is baked compleatly. Its a one step Grease & flour you put it in your pan & brush it around with a basting brush. It's also a very reasonalble price it was $3.50 for an 8fl oz bottle & you use very little. Hope I have helped a little.

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 11

One of the first tricks I learned in cake class is that if you cool a cake completely in the pan, they are more likely to stick to the pan.
It is better to pop them out of the pan within 5 minutes of being out of the oven, by laying wax paper on the top, and using an oven mitt, invert the cake onto the cooling rack. It comes out smoothly and then just allow the cake to cool completely on the cooling rack.
I don't need parchment on Magic Pans, but I use parchment on all other cake pans.

empress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
empress Posted 14 Aug 2006 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 11

You can also very cheaply and quickly make your own cake release. Equal parts crisco, flour and vegetable oil--mix it up with the mixer and keep in a container in the cupboard until you need it. I've never had a cake stick with it. icon_biggrin.gif

alman Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 11

You know, I have been baking for years, and I've had a cake or two stick in the past, but I was using the Super Enhanced Cake recipe from this website, and I really love the flavor. However, it says to bake for 1 hour at 330 degrees (for 9" pans which I used) and it seemed like an awful long time so I pulled them out of the oven after only 40 minutes. They were super moist but the cakes stuck so this second go 'round, I baked it longer and put flour and Crisco in the pans and they came out perfect. I guess the combination of not baking long enough and using Pam caused them to stick.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 11:04pm
post #10 of 11

I use parchemnt on all sizes....even the 6" pans. I sat down one day while watching a movie and cut the circles for all my size and put them in my supply drawer so when I go to bake, I can grab the size parchment circle I need, pop them in the pan and spray some Pam and they never stick...even the really big 14" sizes.

I know it can be a pain but I have found it is a foolproof way to make sure they don't stick. I tried the Wilton release stuff but I found it to be stinky ( could be where I was storing it, temp, etc... ) but also, using parchment cuts down on clean up - the pans are way easier to wash out.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 19 Aug 2006 , 11:47pm
post #11 of 11

Repeating what several other people have said--PARCHMENT PAPER. That was the first thing I was taught in cake decorating class 35 years ago, line your cake pans with parchment paper. I used to hord the stuff because it was only avalible at specialty stores. Cookies brown better on parchment paper even when baked on your old funny looking cookie sheets. Hey, frozen french fries come out better baked on parchment paper, the grease bakes out or something. Since it is now sold in rolls in the grocery store, I use it constantly. I always have a back up roll in the pantry because it is something I refuse to run out of.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%