Help!! Tips Of Writing On Cake

Decorating By queeniek Updated 16 Aug 2006 , 2:34am by kayscake

queeniek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queeniek Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:09am
post #1 of 20

I have the hardest time trying to write messages on a cake. I tried using tips 2,3 , thinning out the BC, i even tried wiltons writing press where you can press it on the cake and trace over it but nothing has work. My cakes come out great but I cringe with i have to write something simple like happy birthday. Does anyone have any suggestions? icon_cry.gif

19 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:15am
post #2 of 20

Do you thin it with corn syrup or piping gel? That helps. My handwriting is not the best either. I always print my messages.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:16am
post #3 of 20

I still get a little sqeamish when I have to write, but I found that a tip 4 or 5 works better for me and my style of writing. Play around until you find something you like....then practice, practice, practice....don't forget to eat the evidence!!! icon_lol.gif

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:17am
post #4 of 20

It took a lot of practice for me to get comfortable writing a message on a cake. I like to do cursive. It helps me if I move my whole arm along with my hand all in one quick motion. If I hesitate then it tends to get messed up. Have you tried putting piping gel in your icing? Practice, Practice, Practice. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:18am
post #5 of 20

How is your regular handwriting? If you are comfortable writing neatly with a pen, you should be able to do it on cake with a little practice. I think my main tip would be to not be so afraid of it. Especially with cursive, if the icing is nice and soft, just go along and write with a steady firm pressure and don't go too slow. I find people either are afraid to squeeze too hard or afraid to go too fast, and then you end up with breaks in the icing or wiggly lines.

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:21am
post #6 of 20

Practice!! Practice!! I don't like using round tips to write. I find I end up with squiggles instead. I like using the smaller star tip (see my "FMC" cake in photos) I forgot what tip # it is and can't look b/c the garbage disposal enjoyed it last time I cleaned it (It took a minute to figure out what that crushed up piece of metal was in the disposal) Anyway, I use star tip and thinned icing. I'm not that good at writing either, but I find I don't stress about it as much anymore. icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:21am
post #7 of 20

I use a laser leveler ($10 from Walmart) to keep the lines straight.

Don't move your hand, move your whole arm when doing the writing.

Practice on the counter or a cutting board before doing it on the cake.

I never double over the letters either, (like on the h's, or t's) I do each letter seperately instead of trying to write the whole word. (hope that makes sense)

and Practice!!

queeniek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queeniek Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:46am
post #8 of 20

i was thinning it out with a little water, i thought that was how to thin it out for some reason. my normal hand written is good but trying to do it on a cake is hard and if i mess up (look at my retirement cake, the writing was horrible) i can't really fix it. is there a way to do it like pushing the icing on wax paper and xfering to the cake?

fuzzykoala22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuzzykoala22 Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 2:56am
post #9 of 20

My handwriting is great, but when it comes to using the piping bag and icing...it looks like chicken scratch. Someone on the forums told me to use royal icing, and pipe my letters on waxed paper so I could trace letters that were already printed. This worked for me because I could "fix" the letters before the royal icing hardened. When they were hard, I peeled them off and put them on my cake. Don't know if you're up for trying that. I know it seems like a waste to make all that royal icing for just a few letters, but maybe you could make a bunch of letters to save for future cakes.

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 3:16am
post #10 of 20

Here is a link on how to transfer letters to your cake. I haven't tried it but I looks like it would be a great thing to try.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2184-Royal-Icing-Letters.html

kayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayscake Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:31am
post #11 of 20

I can totally relate to how you feel, I would get sick when it came time to write on a cake, I have the worlds worst hand writing to begin with add a pastry bag and I'd freak. I solved this problem about 15 years ago by discovering Chocolate transfers. You can use almost any font that you can write or print from your computer (reversed). You dont have to make a large batch of anything and you can paint them with luster dust. The possibilities are endless and stress free! All my writing is done this way. I have some cakes posted on this site and on my website.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 3:40am
post #12 of 20

kayscake, I love the writing on your cakes, I have got to learn how to do that!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 10:49am
post #13 of 20

Oh I am now a HUGE fan of the royal icing letters! It is totally worth it to make up even just a little batch of it to do your lettering! I started with the letter press (the letters are just too big for me, too spaced out and too generic for my taste) Then I went to the pin prick method of printing out a nice font, poking holes through the paper and pressing onto crusted buttercream. That worked pretty good, but still I kind of dented the buttercream up with my fingers/paper. Now I think the royal letters are the way to go by far. Check my photos and you will see the vast improvement over the course of the earlier cakes to recent!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 11:16am
post #14 of 20

I have lots of problems when trying to write messages on cakes. I found that, even though I do all the things they tell me to do with the icing, I still have problems.

Through practice I realized that I am not giving consistent pressure to the piping bag when writing. I tried a smaller bag, and found it worked much better for me. I have also learned to squeeze the bag with my left hand while guiding it with my right hand (I'm right-handed). It comes out more like my own hand-writing.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 6:04pm
post #15 of 20

practice practice practice....just practice. you will get better at it. try not to fill up your bag too much. try holding it like you hold a pen. maybe that will work. take your time...dont rush either.

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 6:17pm
post #16 of 20

Kay, your letters look great!! Stupid question...how do you reverse the letters? Do you flip them in a program like paint shop pro or similar? icon_redface.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 6:21pm
post #17 of 20

I know I do..... by the way I love your "name" pilesoflaundry.... it reminds me of here! icon_lol.gif

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 15 Aug 2006 , 6:29pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

I use a laser leveler ($10 from Walmart) to keep the lines straight.

Don't move your hand, move your whole arm when doing the writing.

A laser level, that's a great idea. My handwriting is ok on cakes, but i find it hard to keep it in a straight line.

And my cake teacher also said to move your whole arm!

pilesoflaundry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilesoflaundry Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 12:06am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

I know I do..... by the way I love your "name" pilesoflaundry.... it reminds me of here! icon_lol.gif

Thanks, I thought that was the right way but that seemed too obvious icon_biggrin.gif

As for the name, it's the truth around here! I have 3 kids. I started using this name on another forum one day when everything I wanted to sign up with was taken so I figured since I was avoiding my laundry to "play" online it was fitting. I use it often now because it's never (well so far) taken.

kayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayscake Posted 16 Aug 2006 , 2:34am
post #20 of 20

Yep exactly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%