Tasting For Birthday Party Need Help Asap

Decorating By heavenscent Updated 23 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm by lilthorner

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 5:53am
post #1 of 13

Ok so I put an email out for needing help with referals for my church play group. One of the mothers emailed me she was wanting a surf board cake for her sons 1st Birthday. She can not find any of the cake places grocery stores willing to do it. She sent me a picture of what she wants is 45 to much to charge for it? Also she wanted to know if I had a web site yet which I dont. But then she asked me if it was possible to do a tasting. I do it for wedding consults but for a birthday party? I don't see how it would be possible to do that at what I would charge her. Any suggestions? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 6:13am
post #2 of 13

If she wants a sample, a 6" round cake is only $x.xx. Samplings are for multi-hundred dollar weddings only.

neurnr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neurnr Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 6:28am
post #3 of 13

Maybe you could make a batch of mini cupcakes and freeze the extras for later "tastings"?

heavenscent Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 13

I don't have room in my freezer to make cupcakes or the time I have a big wedding comming up this next weekend. I think she is crazy any good way to handle this situation? I could use the exposure to another group but i have no desire to do a tasting for a soon to a 1 year olds party. Or am I just being cranky? Or is she just crazy?

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 13

Okay, so I haven't seen the pic she sent of the surfboard cake but GEE, imagine that, the grocery store bakery can't do it? Now it's a tasting for a 1 yr old's b-day? No no, those are for weddings mom. Personally I'd give her the flavor options and let her know the deadline for ordering.

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 13

I agree w/indydebi. Simply explain to her that as a small time baker, you don't have the resources to do tastings for every occasion. (period... no need to go into a whole explanation. You don't need to defend your answer.) Then go on to say, you understand her desire to have the most beautiful and delicious cake for her son's first birthday and you would do your best to make that happen but you would also understand if she decides she needs to find someone else who would be willing to have a tasting. (ha! good luck to her.) I would also make note that most children don't have the sophisticated palettes of adults so an exotic flavor probably would be lost on the child. I am sure you make a delicious vanilla or chocolate cake that would suit everyone's taste. You also did not include a picture of what she wants, so to know if $45 is too much can't be answered. Good luck on this one. It sounds to me like this mom is a little zealous (as many moms are with a 1 yo.) but I am sure she can be reassured and everything will work out OK.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 13

I've had a couple people ask me for a "tasting" for just a birthday cake. I think its funny...do they go around the grocery stores tasting everything before they buy it? "Yes, I'd like a tasting of that donut before I buy a dozen of them." haha.

I just offer them a 6" or 8" cake for $25 or whatever and say then they can decide from there if they want to order the birthday cake. I actually had a lady (smart lady) who wanted to taste my cakes before she ordered so she ordered an 8" mothers day cake so she would know if she should use me for a larger party later in the year or not. (Now that I mention it she liked the cake but I can't remember hearing back from her after that! oh well!)

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 13

The way I've seen many moms planning a 1 year-old birthday party, you'd think they were planning a wedding! But seriously, I agree with everyone else, that tastings are for weddings only and I would charge her. And since you already have a lot going on, it will have to be simple-cake, icing, and a simple bottom border or just use some extra batter from this weekend's cakes and make her a cupcake.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 1:40pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by yh9080

The way I've seen many moms planning a 1 year-old birthday party, you'd think they were planning a wedding! But seriously, I agree with everyone else, that tastings are for weddings only and I would charge her. And since you already have a lot going on, it will have to be simple-cake, icing, and a simple bottom border or just use some extra batter from this weekend's cakes and make her a cupcake.

Scary isn't it.... they pay wedding prices for the one year old... triple that for the sweet sixteen...and they mortgage their life for the wedding I guess, I dunno.

I can't believe prices people are paying to celebrate their kids. I worked at an upscale catering place for a year and people are spending tens of thousands of dollars for a wedding, and occasionally a birthday party! Yikes!

I always think, wow, that would buy a new car....a trip to Europe.... down payment on a mansion.... icon_surprised.gif

lilytexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilytexas Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 13

I agre with neurnr.

srod911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srod911 Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 13

I agree with CarolAnn...no tastings for a birhtday party!

heavenscent Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 6:30pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the suggestions I just wanted to make sure I was not crazy. Some people go a little overboard for there kids parties. Not to say I have not been a little guilty of that myself. But at least I consider myself some what creative& can do 95% of it myself. Thanks again

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 23 Jun 2007 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 13

the only way I would do a tasting for a bday party is if they were having a tiered cake where I wa charging per person.. no way would i do a tasting for a daggum 45.00cake.. luckily whomever I bake for has tasted my cakes or someone haas said that my cakes are really good!

actually, I take that back LOL. I did do a tasting for a bridal shower, but this person ordered her shower favors from me, and is ordering her wedding favors from me, and I applied rhinestones to some items for her, so it was more of an investment for me to do that..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%