Fondant Opinions & Questions

Decorating By notjustcake Updated 10 Aug 2006 , 6:45pm by notjustcake

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone I took my first class of Wilton Course 3 and although I asked my instructor about 1,000 questions about fondant, I am still not sure why anyone likes it. If you use it to cover a cake it will dry up like a rock won't it? How are people supposed to eat it or cut it if you make it a day in advance? I once tried cake with fondant and the fondant was chewy still, but my instructor says it is suppossed to dry. Also I understand when she says a lot figurines and flowers you make with fondant will dry so hard people don't eat it but rather save them as mementos which is cool. She also says most people like fondant just because it looks pretty and smooth but they peel off the fondant before they cut it. Well I am a little disappointed or am I just confused about it. I would love to some day make a cake that has a lot of figurines and details that you can still eat will Marzipan be the answer?? Thanks for any help in advance

10 replies
moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 11

The Wilton ready made fondant is really not good - it does dry hard and does not taste very good. I use Marshmallow fondant, where it will become firm on top of the cake so that you can work with it and it can stay over night or so, but not "hard" and you can cut the cake with a serrated knife and it tastes terrific + it keeps the cake very moist. One of the great things about MMF is that it is easy to make.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 11

I am a big Fondant fan, as matter of fact it's the only one I do, if you look at my photos..

Questions 1. NO, it does not get hard like a rock when it is covering the cake. It is soft, but not "runny" soft. YOu can cut it with a knife like any other icing.

It is a choice of whether to eat it or not. The figures are suppose to be hard so they will stand up on their own, if that is what you are trying to
achieve. You don't want your "people", birds or trees or houses laying flat on the top. Even Roses or leaves etc...

Marshmallow Fondant is the one that taste great..The Wilton one is
the one that taste like ..."you know what" !! Try Fondant and see for yourself.. it is fabulous.. thumbs_up.gif

wendykaye79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendykaye79 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 11

what is marshmellow foundant and how do u make it?

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 11

there are recips in the recipe section for marshmellow fondant (mmf). it is very easy to make and very tasty. mine didnt get hard as a rock at all, not even close to that hard. I never tried the wilton fondant so i know nothing about it other than it tastes like dirt or the other word. if you use mmf people wont be peeling it off.

notjustcake Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 11

Well we are getting ready to do the Wilton square bow cake in class. The instructor said we did not have to make it at home to buy Wilton's. I agree with her now only because I want to be able to learn how to use it then later make my own. I only get to learn how to use it once so I thought I better not try to do something like MMF when I really want to learn how to put it on a cake don't want to take my chances messing up and then I have nothing for class or can't get my cake right cause of my messed up fondant. I will try to make my own later as I make my own cakes. I have read some of the recipes for MMF and I can't wait to try it on my own cakes. So if I use Wilton's already made fondant will it be good that same day I plan to give it away 5 minutes after class my DH husband works near Micheal's and thought about just dropping it off as soon as class was over.

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 11

I used to feel this way about fondant too...but that is because I only knew of Wilton's fondant...and I really do NOT like the way it tasts, or handles! Once I learned about the MMF on this site, I was a fondant fan all the way! It tasts SO much better, and handles MUCH easier! I have had people rave over the tast of MMF ,saying they have never been able to stand the taste of fondant they have had before...but this one is wonderful! I find it doesn't get hard like Wilton's fondant either. Give it a try! I bet your opinion of fondant will change! (The recipe is under the recipe section of this website).

kharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kharvey Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 4:34pm
post #8 of 11

Here is a link to the recipe. I made it for the first time 2 weeks ago and I love it!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/article47-How-to-Make-and-Decorate-with-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

notjustcake Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for the link!!! I printing that as I type. Should I take my chances making my own for this cake for my class then it seems real easy will this heat affect though??

One more things can I make a cake with fondant but edible figurines with Marzipan or some other kind of edible clay?? Any suggestions??

kharvey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kharvey Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 11

You're welcome for the link. Personally, I would make the MMF and use in your class instead of paying for a box of Wilton. They seem to work the same and you never know, you could be the "queen" of the class and everyone will want your recipe. Good Luck!!! Make sure to post pictures.

I'm not sure about the figures. I have only used the fondant for figures and they were for decoration only. Sorry.

notjustcake Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you! I already bought the Wilton fondant it's ok, I will use it for some little decorations or something. You have given me the courage to try to make my own it's so darn hot that I can't bake my cake for class yet but I sure can use the microwave, but I will do it by hand because I have a little 450 watt Sunbeam that I don't need to replace now. ding,ding,ding, electric bill!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif And I keep all the ingredients as staples in my baking cabinet thank you all so much for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%