Making Red - Super Red - A Tip I Learned From Duff

Decorating By Katskakes Updated 26 Jul 2007 , 4:34am by marthajo1

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 52

I love the show and the cakes they make is amazing. I posted this in the spanish forum, figured i'll post here too. This is good to know as a newbie to cakes.
To make red, start with adding yellow to your BC, mix well.
Then add orange to it, mix well again. at this point the icing will still be light in color. Mix in your red color to it and make sure you mix that well too. That should give you a very bright red. Hope this helps someone out there. I know that wilton carries a "no taste" red... but how much do you need to add to get that red?
I have only had a problem with the Wilton black. I kept adding to make sure it was dark enough for my panda cake and it ended up tasting bitter (the BC).

Kat

51 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 52

wow -- thanks for the tip!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Exactly. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

icing_fever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icing_fever Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 52

Cool!! Thanks

val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:19pm
post #5 of 52

Thanks!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 52

Cool- Ill try this next time!

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 52

thanks so much for the tip. When you add so much red or black it tastes really bad.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katskakes

I have only had a problem with the Wilton black. I kept adding to make sure it was dark enough for my panda cake and it ended up tasting bitter (the BC).

Kat

You need to buy americolor super black and super red. I swear buy americolor. I will never buy another wilton gel paste again! No bitter taste with americolor on any of their colors......and it hardly takes any to get the color you want.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:24pm
post #9 of 52

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 52

For black, if I'm able I use a chocolate BC, then color black. Also, once you mix your red or black, cover and let sit for a while and the color will bloom, and darken. I also will use powdered color and gel color both, this seems to help.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 52

i use the super red from coutry kitchen it works really good

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 52

Hey, thanks for this valuable tip!!

I've used an Americolor red and had to use a lot then threw away what I had because it was such a pukey color. I went with pink instead.

I'll use this tip when I make red next time. It's these little tips that seem biggest to me.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:33pm
post #13 of 52

Thanks for the tip! I currently have a bunch of Wilton colors but am using my Americolors more then my Wilton lol. If I don't have the color I need in the Americolors I use the Wiltons. On my WWE cake I had to have Red Red for the Logo, I used my Americolor and it took more then I thought it would to tint just a very small amount of icing. It may be because the icing was super light white hardly had any tint of yellowish to it at all (used real butter instead of margarine lol) but I had to use a good 5 - 6 squirts of color to get red... and about 7 squirts to turn my Chocolate BC black for the sides and then said to heck with it and used Wilton tube icing in black for the logo... big mistake tasted like crap!!! Never use that stuff ever ever ever!!! All 25 tubs of stuff I had (some Wilton some Cake Mate) all went in the trash that day lol nasty nasty stuff lol

Katskakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:43pm
post #14 of 52

you are all welcome!! i have gotten wonderful tips here, so it's nice to have something to share too.
I have both types of colors, wilton and Americolor! i use americolor the most right now. But like someone mentioned above, i've put a lot and still not red the way i want. this one a bit of yellow, bit of orange and some red and waalah! i just did this for the baseball cupcakes i have in my photos. super happy doing it this way.
I have done black the way it was suggested above too. unfortunately i was new and didn't know any better back then. Thankfully i came across this site and have learn so many wonderful tips!

midgit1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midgit1205 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 7:53pm
post #15 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

2nd that. I'll have to try this.

Janeil

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:38pm
post #16 of 52

I use americolor and swear by it ... the episode of ace of cakes that I watched when they were talking about doing yellow then orange then red it was airbrushed onto fondant ... does this work the same way with buttercream?

Katskakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:43pm
post #17 of 52

it did for me! icon_lol.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 8:55pm
post #18 of 52

Wow can't wait to try this , yellow then orange then red. Last time I did red I took the CC tip and did pink first and that helped lots, maybe this way is even better................................

moniquerei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniquerei Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 9:02pm
post #19 of 52

this tip is so well timed for me!! I am making a very large elmo cake this weekend and I have been nervous all week about the red...thanks!!!!!

Nickii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nickii Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 10:50am
post #20 of 52

Does anyone have any tricks on how to kill the bitter taste of red or hot pink?

pumpkinroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pumpkinroses Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 11:13am
post #21 of 52

thanks for the tip.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 11:23am
post #22 of 52

Thanks for the great tip!

Katskakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 12:46pm
post #23 of 52

"Does anyone have any tricks on how to kill the bitter taste of red or hot pink?"

i think the bitter taste comes from adding too much food coloring! i have only had this happen to me with wilton colors, not with Americolor. That's why it's good to mix a few colors first, then add the color you are trying to get - instead of adding a whole bunch of the color you want. (does that make sense?!)

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:17pm
post #24 of 52

Has anybody tried this yet? Why do you think you make yellow first before orange?

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 1:30pm
post #25 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleLinda

Has anybody tried this yet? Why do you think you make yellow first before orange?

If I recall from my art classes (eons ago...), yellow is a primary color, as is red. If you begin with yellow, then go to the orange and, finally, the red, you are working you way along the color wheel .... I think what you're doing is laying a foundation for the final color. Just like when you watch Duff airbrush grass: if you notice, he lays down some yellow first, because it makes that grassy color "pop" or come alive; it's not just a flat, boring green. Mother Nature doesn't make everything one singular color, there are subtle shades and touches of other colors in every living thing, that's what makes them vibrant.

{At least, I think this may be the reason .... od, dear God, I need those super-powerful-remembering-pills again today .... somebody stop me before it's too late!!! icon_rolleyes.gif }

Odessa

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 2:40pm
post #26 of 52

save

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 5:05pm
post #27 of 52

i just tried this and it did not work for me i got a peach color i put half of my x-mas red and holiday red which were the small bottol of Americolor and the no taste-red from wilton and still got a peach color. so as for me it did not work. now i got a color that i did not need. for the cake i am doing... but i gave it a try. i guess it might work for others but not for me....

shaddi

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 21 Jun 2007 , 7:37pm
post #28 of 52

Thanks for the tip! I tried it last night and it worked. I did have to put in a bit more red because I had a red-orange color, which wasn't bad either but I wanted to get red. I have to take a look at my roses later to see if the colors darken more.

jmarks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmarks Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 7:38pm
post #29 of 52

Thanks for sharing this tip!! I was just looking up the best way to make red because I want to do a 4th of July cake, and this way sounds perfect!

keepontryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepontryin Posted 25 Jun 2007 , 8:00pm
post #30 of 52

Can't wait to try this. Do you think it will work with fondant too?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%