Drying Time For Fondant Bow

Decorating By dylansmomma Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 3:03pm by KittisKakes

dylansmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dylansmomma Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 7

How long does it take for a fondant bow to dry completely? I need one for next Wednesday, so when should I make it?

Thanks!

6 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 7

Use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste because fondant is so very fragile on it's own. If thin enough, 6-8 hours. For really dry 24 hours. But that is hanging the loops on a drying rack.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 7

And if you've got time now, it won't hurt to do it now. Make a few extra loops just in case. Get it done now and then when it's time to actually decorate the cake, that's one less thing to worry about!! I try to do mine several days in advance. I see you're in LA. It's usually humid there, so take that into consideration too. More humidity means a bit more of drying time. Just do it a couple of days in advance and you will be OK.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 7

I would say the earlier the better and make more than one to allow for breakage (I say this from experience). I made a fondant bow last Tuesday for a Saturday wedding. I only made one and it ended up breaking so I had to make another one. I made the second one Thursday evening and it was dry but not as hard as I wanted it to be. It wasn't superthin but not too thick either. It dried well enough but I was pretty nervous about it. I used Wilton fondant without any gumpaste added, but I definitely agree with Tiptop to use some gumpaste too. It will help a lot.

HTH. Good luck

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 7

If you run into a bind for some reason you can put it in a food dehydrator to dry faster.

hktaitai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hktaitai Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 7

Question about fondant/gumpaste mixture -- can you add gumtex powder into fondant to get a hybrid fondant/gumpaste? I had some leftover MMF (smaller than fist size) and kneaded a tsp of gumtex into the MMF. I made a martini glass with this mixed MMF and after 24 hours, it's far from dry. Any tips from the experts out there??

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 7

Gumtex will work and so will powdered fixodent. Use about a tsp of gumtex or powdered fixodent to a wad of mmf/fondant the size of a baseball. It works really well!! I've done several cakes with "fixed MMF" for decorations and have never had a problem with it. Since the powdered fixodent goes in your mouth, it's obviously not toxic and since those kinds of decorations aren't meant to be eaten, there's no problem there. A great tip passed on by Squirrelly Cakes and Sewsweet2

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%