Help!!! Need Ideas For Sympathy Cake

Decorating By spunkywan Updated 20 Jun 2007 , 1:45pm by smbegg

spunkywan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkywan Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 2:49am
post #1 of 8

I got a call today to make a sympathy cake for noon tomorrow. I baked a 11X15 french vanilla sheet cake tonight. I am going to decorate it in the morning....any sugesstions? My husband said I should not write on it, just decorate it. Please help....my mind is blank.
Thanks

7 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:01am
post #2 of 8

I agree with your hubby about not writing on it. I would just put some white roses on it

"White roses represent innocence and purity and are traditionally associated with marriages and new beginnings. The white rose is also a symbol of honor and reverence, and white rose arrangements are often used as an expression of remembrance."

Perhaps roses in the shape of a cross, or you can search some baptism cakes for ideas too. Most of them are lovely and fairly serious.

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 3:38am
post #3 of 8

i agree. maybe just some roses or a cross. hope you get it figured out.

BuncoHappens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuncoHappens Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 8

I just recently made a sympathy cake....look in my photos.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 8

I'd put some lilly of the valley on it - they always have a sweet thoughtful look to them. Or put some forget-me-nots on it. I got a basket of real flowers at my dads funeral and thought it was a great idea. They would look good on a cake.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 8

Regarding the cross, don't assume a person's religion/beliefs.
However, as suggested in all of the previous posts, an arrangement of flowers is always appropriate.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:29pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by karensjustdessert

Regarding the cross, don't assume a person's religion/beliefs.
However, as suggested in all of the previous posts, an arrangement of flowers is always appropriate.

I agree - wouldn't be offended by a cross, but it would not be something that I would want to have delivered to my house for a funeral.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 20 Jun 2007 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 8

I would just do a simple, dare I say store type cake with a shell border and flower spray. Minimal colors. I think that is best with a sympathy cake. They are not looking for fancy.

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%