Gel Coloring- I Should Have Asked Earlier But...

Decorating By Thelaw23 Updated 19 Jun 2007 , 4:35pm by SILVERCAT

Thelaw23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thelaw23 Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 9

I molded a tool out of gum paste and used a brush and brushed wilton gel coloring on the outside . Just plain ole' right out of the container gel coloring. Was that right? Should I have colored it with something else? Will it ever dry now that I have done it or will I have to redo the darn thing? What tips or suggestions do you have for making it dry faster? Cold or hot air? Tips?

8 replies
USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 9

you maybe should have mixed the gel coloring with either a little clear vanilla or some vodka...it helps to dry out the coloring as the vodka or vanilla will evaporate...

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 9

Vodka or extract mixed with gel coloring would dry much faster. I have not used straight gel color for painting so cannot tell you how long it will take to dry (or if it will).

Thelaw23 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:06am
post #4 of 9

Please anymore help - just bumping for night viewers.

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 2:12am
post #5 of 9

I'm sorry, I have never painted with gel color, but here is another bump...maybe someone can help you. I hope that it will turn out o.k.

Thelaw23 Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 9

WOW icon_surprised.gif ok so you all mean to tell me that I have found a question that all of you wonderful, professional, talented, knowledgable cake baking chicks (and dudes) cant answer??? thumbsdown.gif Do I get a prize? Great , leave it to me to stump hundreds of professionals icon_cry.gif What can I paint this handle with? I prefer it to be matt but at this point a little gleam wouldn't kill me. Suggestions? Come on people I have only been on this site for about a week dont let it fail me so soon! icon_sad.gif

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 9

When I tried to use gel paste only to paint- it never dried. I finally threw the piece away. Maybe somebody else has had better luck. When I paint with gel colors now, I add vodka.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 12:51pm
post #8 of 9

It will dry but it will take longer than when you use vodka or lemon extract since it is thicker. You may want to put put it under a lamp or try a fan to make the drying faster. HTH

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 19 Jun 2007 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 9

What about the oven with the light on??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%