Fbct Question

Decorating By Seeing_i_dog67 Updated 2 Aug 2006 , 9:30pm by Seeing_i_dog67

Seeing_i_dog67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Seeing_i_dog67 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 4

I was going to try my first FBCT this week, but yesterday it was 100° and today and tomorrow are supposed to be just as hot. It's a little cooler than that in my house, but not by much- we don't have air conditioning, as it's not usually this hot in upstate NY.

Should I try to do the FBCT, and will the heat effect the frosting? Since this is my first one, I don't really know what I'm doing.. I've been reading these forums for tips.

Thanks icon_smile.gif
Casey

3 replies
mumof2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumof2 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 4

Sorry I wont be much help but I was wondering the same thing but with transporting the cake. It is 100 degrees here also and I was wondering it the FBCT will melt while delivering it. You poor thing, no AC? I wish that I could send some of mine your way.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 4

Once the FBCT is on a cake it is like any other buttercream decorating. Because it comes out of the freezer and thaws does not mean it will melt in the heat. Now your icing, in general, may be softer because of the heat, but you would have that problem with all of the icing on your cake, not just the transfer.

Casey, do you have room in your freezer for the cake? The biggest part of the transfer is actually removing it from the wax paper*. With it being so hot it may thaw faster than usual and the thawing before removing the wax paper* which is what causes the sticking issues.

If you have room in your freezer, once you flip the transfer over onto the cake, you can put the whole cake into the freezer to harden the transfer back up before pulling off the wax paper.*

--- --- ----
*I use wax paper, but you can also use plastic wrap or parchment paper. icon_smile.gif

Seeing_i_dog67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Seeing_i_dog67 Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, I have a full size freezer with plenty of room. I think I will try that. Since the frosting will be softer from heat, should I be compensating for that in the recipe? and how much will that change the final result? I've made lots of frosting, but not with a real recipe- I'll be using a buttercream recipe I found on here...

Yeah- no AC, it's miserable. We have a pool though, and thats where I've spent most of this week! It's going to be hard to get into the kitchen and bake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%