Parchment Paper - Silicone Or Regular

Decorating By Tscookies Updated 2 Aug 2006 , 4:04am by slejdick

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 6

I'm wondering if anyone knows the difference in these papers. I didn't realize that there was more than one kind of parchment until I got to the Rest Supply Store. They offer boxes of regular parchment paper and then 'silicone' coated parchment paper (which is about twice the price). I currently use the Reynolds Parchment paper for my cookies. Does anyone know the difference and which would work better for making sugar cookies?

5 replies
oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscookies

I'm wondering if anyone knows the difference in these papers. I didn't realize that there was more than one kind of parchment until I got to the Rest Supply Store. They offer boxes of regular parchment paper and then 'silicone' coated parchment paper (which is about twice the price). I currently use the Reynolds Parchment paper for my cookies. Does anyone know the difference and which would work better for making sugar cookies?

Well according to a few places- re difference between parchment paper vs. wax paper- parchment paper wins- I've never used parchment paper myself for anything so I couldnt back any of that up LOL- for instance apparently wax paper on a cookie sheet to bake cookies smokes in the oven, parchment paper doesnt. I never had that happen. Apparently also wax paper disintegrates when you put icing in it for decorating. Parchment paper doesnt. Well I don't use wax paper for decorating anyway icon_cool.gif I use either decorating bags or heavy duty ziploc freezer bags.

ok and i forgot the rest of what I was going to say cause i'm busy getting ready for work icon_smile.gif)

do a search online parchment paper vs. wax paper- should find a few hits icon_smile.gif good luck

sweetamber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetamber Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 6

I would say that if you normally use the reynolds parchment and that works okay you should just buy the regular (cheaper) parchmant from rest. supply. The kind that has silicon lasts a little longer, you can re-use it many times. Also I think it can be used at a higher temperature without danger of fire. But for most applications, especially cookies, the regular works fine and it would probably not be worth the extra money for the silicone impregnated kind. HTH icon_smile.gif

Amber

emh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emh Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 6

I use Reynold's parchment paper as well. I have never seen special silicone-coated parchment paper -- however I do know that the regular parchment paper has silicone in it anyway -- that's why it's OK at higher temperatures in the oven (as compared to waxed paper).

Maybe that special silicone-coated paper is an in-between step from regular parchment paper to a Silpat. ?!?!?!

I agree, though - if the regular parchment is working out for you I'd stick with that. I've not had any trouble with it and haven't broken the bank by using a new sheet every time.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 3:46am
post #5 of 6

We use the silicon parchment at our bakery. It holds up to heat better, lasts longer, and continues to release almost everything after being baked 3 or 4 times. It's much more expensive and wouldn't be worth it to the everyday at home baker, but for us its invaluable because of its long pan life.

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 2 Aug 2006 , 4:04am
post #6 of 6

I get parchment paper at GFS (gordon food service). It's the silicone coated (I think they call it Quillon), and it's in flat sheets the size to fit full sheet pans. It's quite inexpensive, IMO - 50 sheets are a little over $3.00. MUCH cheaper than the stuff on the roll, and it lays flat on my cookie sheets.

I haven't used the non-coated, but I do love the coated stuff. If I'm doing lots of cookies, I can reuse the parchment several times.

Laura.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%