Asian Themed Cake Ideas

Decorating By LacieLou76 Updated 22 Aug 2006 , 2:25pm by oceanspitfire

LacieLou76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacieLou76 Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 16

Does anyone have any ideas for a cake that looks like a chinese lantern or just a really cool asian themed cake? It would be for a little girl and the customer wants it to be "awesome" I would appreciate any help thanks!

15 replies
klkhoneycutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klkhoneycutt Posted 31 Jul 2006 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 16

you could trying useing the sports ball pan to do a lantern!! or maybe do something with bamboo!! and panda's
Lisa

LacieLou76 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:13am
post #3 of 16

I had this idea to. Has anyone ever seen any pics of asian themed cakes anywhere? I know this customer will want to see pictures.

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:19am
post #4 of 16

Don't we have a category "asian" cakes in the gallery???

LacieLou76 Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:23am
post #5 of 16

yeah your right there is. thanks

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 12:23am
post #6 of 16

I'm doing an Asian-themed wedding cake this winter. It will include a dragon, Asian script and dogwood flowers (all the customer's ideas, I must say). I think a dragon cake would look cool.

jlllyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlllyn Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:44am
post #7 of 16

how about a fan shaped cake with cherry blossoms flowers

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:56am
post #8 of 16

I saw a stencil at WalMart with Chinese? symbols that you could incorporate into your design. *Almost* bought it myself.

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 8:08am
post #9 of 16

Hello
check these sites for beautiful cakes with dragon designs

www.bsguk.org/celebrationgal3.html

www.carlocksbakery.com/special_cakes.html

The painted cakes at: www.jollybebakery.com/painted.html will also give you other ideas....

however, there is a bigger question... Did the customer specify what she means by "Asian themed"? Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, etc ... they are all very different with unique styles. Some can be complex, others mimimalist; Even the use of specific colors can impress or offend (even for a child's birthday.) If you are planning to use characters it would be good to know which language and what the characters mean. I would play it safe and get the customer to really state her expecations.
Ok, that's my 2 cents worth
ciao

Bekahv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bekahv Posted 3 Aug 2006 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 16

Do you subscribe to American Cake Decorating? Their last issue had an asian cake on it. It was beautiful. I tried to find a link to that cake but I could not find it. If you want to see a picture pm me and I can probably scan mine and send you a picture. It was on their front cover.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 4:37am
post #11 of 16

how young is the child?

If she is really young, Hello Kitty is still big and could be a focal point in an asian design that fits with their ethnicity.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 9 Aug 2006 , 4:52pm
post #12 of 16

A fan would be pretty too ... with flowers on it or a dragon.

LacieLou76 Posted 21 Aug 2006 , 10:19pm
post #13 of 16

I ended up using the wilton ball pan and making it look like a paper lantern. The colors and the sun symbol where chosen by the customer. i will post the pictures in my photos soon.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 3:30am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fascination

however, there is a bigger question... Did the customer specify what she means by "Asian themed"? Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, etc ... they are all very different with unique styles. Some can be complex, others mimimalist; Even the use of specific colors can impress or offend (even for a child's birthday.) If you are planning to use characters it would be good to know which language and what the characters mean. I would play it safe and get the customer to really state her expecations.
Ok, that's my 2 cents worth
ciao

Agreed on that- not giving anyone a hard time- just agreeing that yes it is culturally offensive/impolite to mix things up or use the wrong language or symbols. For reasons unknown to me, mixups like that are taken as insults to person or family or honour in Asia, seemingly in my studies of different cultures more so than other places.
I would add without ill will towards the creators that I have seen a few cakes around the net where there was a mix of Japanese and Chinese theme, like sushi and chinese writing- maybe this was done on purpose in which case no harm done icon_cool.gif

I do like the fan idea and the lantern (I have one in my bedroom, I love how they mute the light in the room. )

Cant wait to see the cake!

LacieLou76 Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:11pm
post #15 of 16

I really really dont want to offend anyone and i dont' know any thing about asian culture so i left it up to the customer to decide what colors and symbols she wanted. I think they turned out cute and i hope they are okay. The pictures and now in my photos. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 22 Aug 2006 , 2:25pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LacieLou76

I really really dont want to offend anyone and i dont' know any thing about asian culture so i left it up to the customer to decide what colors and symbols she wanted. I think they turned out cute and i hope they are okay. The pictures and now in my photos. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

OMG LAcielou that'sg orgeous! I LOVE the orange- and the texture-that replicates lantern rice paper pattern- you did a great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%