Food Network Challenges/ace Of Cakes

Decorating By ZAKIA6 Updated 15 Jun 2007 , 6:35pm by Eggshells

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 10

Hi

I have noticed that on the food network challenges and on ace of cakes, when they fill & frost a cake before applying the fondant, they layer is sooo thin. Especially the between the layers there is almost no frosting.

I know most people dont usually eat the fondant so im wondering what's left besides th e cake.

9 replies
Erika1276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika1276 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 10

I have noticed this too and wonder if I am doing something wrong because I use sooo much filling and frosting! But my family seems to love it, so I guess I won't change!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 10

Nine times out of ten they toss all the cakes on Food Network Challenges. All my people eat fondant...they actually love it!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 10

Good question. Although, I did see a cake being put together and I thought the icing was slathered on, and then smoothed. I don't remember seeing the cake again, before the fondant was put on, so I don't know if it ended up really thinly iced or not. I watch on Sunday afternoons, here. I'll pay closer attention.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 10

I don't put that much icing or filling between layers either. I just don't like that much sweetness added to my cakes, especially when there are going to be 3 layers of filling in a torted cake. Also, a very thin layer keeps it from sliding around or bulging in the middle.

I do, however, put a little more icing than they do under the fondant. I like to roll my fondant thinner than the recommended 1/4", so I need that extra cushion for smoothness.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 10

i would assume that they add much less filling to make the cakes more stable. sometimes too much filling could make them wobbly

AuntAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntAndrea Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 10

I'm glad someone else mentioned this -- I usually use quite a bit of icing/filling between my cake layers (being the sugar addict that I am!! icon_lol.gif ) But my Mom keeps asking me to please use less filling for our family-event cakes, saying that there's just too much and it competes with the cake. icon_confused.gif And I always added extra icing on top under the fondant because I know most people are going to remove the fondant!

Ah, well. With my sweet tooth, I'm probably WAY too biased to know the right answer here... I swear sometimes I'd just as soon have a bowl of icing with only a tiny bit of cake on top!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I guess everyone will have their own personal preference with this, just like with flavors. icon_smile.gif

...Andrea

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 10

they do usually do a crumb coat that is super thin and then another coat before they apply the fondant. i watched the crumb coating and second layer at one of the challenges they did here in colorado

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 10

I had never really paid attention to this before, but I plan to attend that show in Nashville in a couple of weeks and I am GOING to watch for sure!

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 10

Hi, a filling or icing that is on to thickly competes with the flavor of the cake layers. A filling and or icing should "enhance" the cake flavor, a filling is also there to ensure that the cake layers stay a bit moister than without.

I hope this answers some questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%