Cake Servings.

Decorating By Mable_21 Updated 13 Jun 2007 , 9:09pm by teasom

Mable_21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mable_21 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 8

I'm finding conflicting servings numbers for a 9x13 sheet pan. It will be served in wedding portions, and they will be torted and filled. Thanks for your help!

7 replies
momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 8

The Wilton chart says 50. If you cut the short side by 4 and the long by 13 you would have approx. 1x2 in pieces and that would serve 52.

momg9 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 8

Now that I read it again, that would be for a 2 layer cake. Figure 1/2 that for a 1 layer.

Mable_21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mable_21 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 8

It seems like so many servings for such a small pan. I think that's why I'm worried! icon_confused.gif

momg9 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 8

When I bake a cake I fill the pan about 3/4 full so that it rises a little above the top. After it cools I level it in the pan. Doing it this way I know that my sides will be the full 2 inches. If your cakes are the full height of the pan all the way around then it will serve that many if cut properly.

teasom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teasom Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 8

I'm always afraid that whoever is doing the cutting and serving of my cake will not know how to cut it properly. I always allow for large portion sizes. I found a chart quite sometime ago on the web that allows for larger pieces of cake. (Mostly because I'm such a glutton myself) =) By my chart, a 9 x 13 cake would feed 24-30 people. It basically allows for a 2 inch square serving of cake. My customers often have cake left over, but I would much rather this than to have someone run out of cake. I have noticed though that people cut tall cakes into very small pieces.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 8

I incorporate a cutting guide in the decor of sheet cakes. I put the border on, then I put a small dot every 2" right alongside the border. Everyone thinks it's part of the border decor except the person who I show it to, and explain it's a cutting guide. They LUV it!

teasom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teasom Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 8

What a great idea indydebi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%