Wanting To Buy Wholesale In Ohio...need Liscense? Confused!

Business By juliecake Updated 14 Jun 2007 , 4:27pm by tthardy78

juliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliecake Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 13

I do wedding cakes etc. in Ohio and Iam trying to figure out what I need to buy wholesale.Foods aren't taxable, so I don't need a vendors license. I am a sole propreiter so I don't need a FID#. I inquired at Country kitchen they said I don't qualify becausei don't have a business listed phone number and gave me the name of a cake supply shop that only requires a business license. When I looked up licensing for home bakeries in Ohio it says one of the requirements is only one oven and I have two...so I am not sure what type of license to apply for or how else to go about buying wholesale. Can anyone in ohio help me?

12 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 13

I think I would just get a vendor's license.... all they really want is a NUMBER to put in their books, and that would do it.....Can you contact them again, and ask if your vendors licence would be enough ?

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 13

Hello, the one oven is for Cottage Foods, licensing is different.
I have attached a link to the licensing part of Ohio rules.
http://www.ohioagriculture.gov/oda3/_Apps/Admn_License/Default.aspx

As long as you have no carpet or pets you are good. Be sure to check in your city though, some have different rules with in Ohio. What area are you in?
Tracy

juliecake Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:28pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you for responding!

This is what I found under the cottage foods section, and I actually have more than one oven not a double oven.

Home" means the primary residence occupied by the residence's owner, on the condition that the residence contains only one stove or oven used for cooking, which may be a double oven, designed for common residence usage and not for commercial usage, and that the stove or oven be operated in an ordinary kitchen within the residence.

but even if I qualify as "cottage foods" and don't need a liscense that doesn't help me with purchasing wholesale.

Asfar as the vendors #- my understanding is that I can't get one since cakes/foods aren't taxable (if not consumed on the premises) and vendor's numbers are for taxable items.

is this correct as far as your undersatnding?

I live in the Cincinnati area

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 13

My understanding is if you become licensed you do not have to go by the cottage rules as you are not a cottage industry any longer( 1 oven.) I am not sure of the exact rules for working out of your home as licensed though..
I would call the local office of the dept. of Agr. and ask them. They should be able to help you out for your specific area. They should be open now!
Tracy

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 13

" Asfar as the vendors #- my understanding is that I can't get one since cakes/foods aren't taxable (if not consumed on the premises) and vendor's numbers are for taxable items. "

Oh, rats !! I was hoping that would be the easy way out !

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 13

if country kitchen wants a business listed phone number, why not get a seperate phone line just for biz? did CK need a license number too?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 13

You need the vendor's license to purchase items at wholesale, not to sell them....at least that is my understanding.

It also sounds like that as long as your 2 ovens are residential ovens (not large commercial ovens), then you are fine. I know many people who have more than one residential oven in their home because they have large family gatherings and like to entertain a lot. I think the DOA doesn't want you to have a huge commerical oven in your house and start pumping out tons of food and turn your house into a bakery! I'm sure your neighbors would appreciate that as well, though the smells would be lovely.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 13

If you read Country Kitchen's website, you will understand that they are wanting to sell more to cake supply stores rather than home bakers. The stores will buy more inventory than an end user will and that is CK's goal..... to sell lots of inventory. That's why they not only want your license number, but your business phone and your hours of operation, so they can confirm you are a "real" business.

tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 13

juliecake,

Are you within the Cin. city limits? If so do you have a sep. kitchen from your home. Because when I called the city about baking from my house they told me that I had to have a sep. kitchen to do so even though the state will allow me to bake from my home. Just wondering?

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthardy78

juliecake,

Are you within the Cin. city limits? If so do you have a sep. kitchen from your home. Because when I called the city about baking from my house they told me that I had to have a sep. kitchen to do so even though the state will allow me to bake from my home. Just wondering?

you're right, within cincy limits you can't sell from home legally. thats why i purposely got my apartment in sycamore twnship. but i plan on renting kitchen space anyway, it will just make my biz so much easier, especially for multi cake weekends. but i can still bake and sell the occasional cake from home if necessary.

juliecake Posted 13 Jun 2007 , 9:31pm
post #12 of 13

I'm not within city limits.
Thanks for the info.

tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 4:27pm
post #13 of 13

You guys are so lucky. I'm 4 blocks inside of the ciyt limits and it sucks!! I'm hoping to rent a kitchen soon to get around this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%