lainee Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:22pm
post #1 of

Anyone ever tried to doctor a yellow cake mix to turn it into a chocolate cake? or should I just go ahead and make a scratch chocolate cake? I usually use doctored mixes, but don't have a chocolate one on hand and am trying to avoid going to the store.

TIA,

Lainee

9 replies
fourangelsmommie Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:28pm
post #2 of

Yes, I did last week. I added coca powder and a little chocolate syrup, or you could add the coco powder and some chocolate pudding dry mix.

I did it, and it tasted good, looked good, but mix it well....one of the ladies asked why there were little yellow spots in the cake. It looked like confetti. Guess I didn't mix it enough.

lainee Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:38pm
post #3 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourangelsmommie

Yes, I did last week. I added coca powder and a little chocolate syrup, or you could add the coco powder and some chocolate pudding dry mix.

I did it, and it tasted good, looked good, but mix it well....one of the ladies asked why there were little yellow spots in the cake. It looked like confetti. Guess I didn't mix it enough.




How much cocoa and how much syrup? I was thinking maybe 1/2 cup of cocoa, but the syrup is a good idea too. Probably helps w/ moisture.

shortNsweet Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:53pm
post #4 of

I'm SO glad someone asked this question! I have a similar problem. I ALWAYS use 2 cake mixes together...DH Moist Deluxe AND BC Pound cake.( I was taught this makes for a sturdier cake ...especially when you are using fondant).
I have used DH Devils Food mix, but the BC Pound cake, does NOT come in chocolate. I add cocoa powder to the two mixes but ALWAYS wind up with tiny dots of yellow in my finished cake! It tastes good, but looks so strange with all these tiny yellow dots! I thought maybe I wasn't mixing it enough, so I made sure to use my whisk attachment to mix the two mixes together BEFORE adding any ingredients...just mixing them together DRY...then I add the wet ingredients. I put my mixer on high, and have let it mix together dry for as long as 15 minutes and I STILL get the yellow dots! I make sure I totally mix it well after wet ingredients are added too, but don't want to OVER mix. How do I keep those pesky little yellow dots from appearing?

lainee Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 2:57pm
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortNsweet

I'm SO glad someone asked this question! I have a similar problem. I ALWAYS use 2 cake mixes together...DH Moist Deluxe AND BC Pound cake.( I was taught this makes for a sturdier cake ...especially when you are using fondant).
I have used DH Devils Food mix, but the BC Pound cake, does NOT come in chocolate. I add cocoa powder to the two mixes but ALWAYS wind up with tiny dots of yellow in my finished cake! It tastes good, but looks so strange with all these tiny yellow dots! I thought maybe I wasn't mixing it enough, so I made sure to use my whisk attachment to mix the two mixes together BEFORE adding any ingredients...just mixing them together DRY...then I add the wet ingredients. I put my mixer on high, and have let it mix together dry for as long as 15 minutes and I STILL get the yellow dots! I make sure I totally mix it well after wet ingredients are added too, but don't want to OVER mix. How do I keep those pesky little yellow dots from appearing?




Of course I haven't tried this, because I posted the original question, but now I'm wondering, what if you mix all of the chocolate ingredients together so that the cake mix is wet and then add in the pound cake, maybe it should be already mixed to, so you are mixing 2 wet batters together. Maybe they would blend better.

shortNsweet Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:00pm
post #6 of

Lainee,
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that the next tiem I make a chocolate cake.

karensjustdessert Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:02pm
post #7 of

Lainee, that's what I've done actually...mix the two wet batters together, and no one is the wiser that there were actually two different colored batters...Think of it like when you add the wet chocolate batter to a yellow cake to make a marble cake, when you mix it, and don't swirl it, it all turns chocolatey.

hamie Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:03pm
post #8 of

I only purchase yellow mixes. If I need choc I add 4 tbls of either dark or regular powder. I sift the powder, a choc pudding package, and the mix together. So far, I have not had the yellow flecks. I mix for a bit, until the mixture gets thick, 5-6 minutes.

Good luck

lainee Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 3:04pm
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamie

I only purchase yellow mixes. If I need choc I add 4 tbls of either dark or regular powder. I sift the powder, a choc pudding package, and the mix together. So far, I have not had the yellow flecks. I mix for a bit, until the mixture gets thick, 5-6 minutes.

Good luck




Excellent Hamie! Thank you so much. I will go try it now.

lainee Posted 28 Jul 2006 , 7:24pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by karensjustdessert

Lainee, that's what I've done actually...mix the two wet batters together, and no one is the wiser that there were actually two different colored batters...Think of it like when you add the wet chocolate batter to a yellow cake to make a marble cake, when you mix it, and don't swirl it, it all turns chocolatey.




Thanks for confirming. Somehow I missed your post earlier. I will definitely try it the next time. The sifted ingredients turned out fine. I don't have any yellow flecks, but I hate sifting. I try to avoid sifting when at all possible.

Thanks

Lainee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%