Gumpast Roses

Decorating By sandie Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 4:38pm by wolfley29

sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 5

Hi:
I have to make my first real gumpaste roses for a wedding cake. Since I am not in the habit of making roses. I was wondering what would be the best way to go about it. Do you use wilton's little flower shape cutter or do you attach each petal seperately? Also, do you use petal dust before or after shapeing the flower? Thank you for your help.

4 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 5

I use this 5-petal rose cutter by FMM: http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=18443

I like the little point in each petal for this cutter - it adds a lot to the overall look of the rose.

The instructions on how to use this cutter is found here: http://globalsugarart.com/newsimages/CarnationsNew.pdf

I dry the gumpaste flower thoroughly then use petal dust to highlight the colors.

sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you Miriel:
I saved the info on the cutter and instructions. The problem is, I don't have time to order the cutter. I need to start making the flowers, now. I like the looks of this cutter better than wilton's.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 5

If this is your first time to make the roses, I would suggest doing them petal by petal. That way, you will not be rushed in thinning and shaping the petal as gumpaste dries very quickly.

The rose can be assembled when all the petals are dry with dabs of royal icing.

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 12 Jun 2007 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 5

I use the Wilton cutters (only because I haven't been able to get the other one yet). I also have a clay maching that I use to thin down my gumpaste. When I do the petals, it is by adding them singularly with gum glue (1/4 tsp gum paste and 1 Tbsp water).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%