Cake Balls!

Decorating By ABrunath Updated 27 Jul 2006 , 3:36am by Fascination

ABrunath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ABrunath Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 14

I've got a question about cake balls. I just made a batch, and YES, they are rich, but quite yummy! I wasn't sure if I added too much liquid or not (I used French Vanilla coffee creamer), but I thought they were similar in texture and consistency to fudge. Is that the way they're supposed to be once you roll them into balls? After letting them sit for a while, I tasted one and it seemed too gooey, so I popped the whole tray into the oven for about 15 minutes. Now they're more like cake but with a slightly gooey center (probably from the chocolate chips too)and the bottoms are flat (which I could have done without!) I sprinkled them (not rolled) with powdered sugar after they cooled a bit. Actually, the way the recipe sounded to me I thought they'd be more like Dunkin Donut munchkins. But, unbaked, they are more like fudge balls, is that the way they are supposed to be????

13 replies
coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 14

I decribed mine as almost a truffley constency, which I guess is close to fudge. I have only made them a few times - the last time they were too rich -I had chocolate cake, added chocolate syrup and dipped in chocolate (well it seemed like a good idea at the time! LOL)

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 14

can't help you - mine turned out all mush. There was aNO WAY they were going to be in "balls". Here's a bump though!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 14

When I first made them I added too much liquid, but then added more cake until I was able to roll them into a ball that would stay - didn't bake them at all - then dipped in melted chocolate. Love the way they are soft on the inside, and I think that is what they are supposed to be like.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 14

I have made them twice and they always seem to end up mushy, don't know what I am doing wrong because I am following the directions. The first time they were really mushy so the next time I cut back on the liquid but they were still quite mushy. I think these are meant to be eaten the same day because the next day they are really mushy.

seli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seli Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 14

what are cake balls and how do you make them???? icon_smile.gif

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 14

Just look them up in the recipe section. They are basically balls made from leftover cake scraps.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 9:36pm
post #8 of 14

Wish I could get my husband to leave the scraps alone long enough so I CAN make cake balls! I would really like to try the recipe...

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 9:43pm
post #9 of 14

yeah see the one time I made them was on purpose because I wanted to make a bunch of mini sized soccer balls- and well live and learn for next time, but they were WAY too sweet - so back to the drawing board I guess LOL

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 26 Jul 2006 , 9:47pm
post #10 of 14

I made some this past weekend for the first time and brought them to the store where I give Wilton classes. They loved them!! Mine were more like a cookie dough consistency.... I rolled mine into small bite size balls, popped them into the freezer for about 20 minutes and then dipped them in some candy melts .. they came out fine ... I had chocolate cake scraps from the giant ding dong cake recipe from here... all the inside of the cake I had to scoop out (made 2 giant ding dong cakes) .. I added some pecan pieces to mine and some hazelnut flavor creamer .. it was yummy!!

tastycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycake Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 1:19am
post #11 of 14

My cake balls are a lot like fudge in consistency. I always think they are too sweet-but everyone else loves them!

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 3:19am
post #12 of 14

hello everyone,
I have made these on many occasions.. but I have never heard them called cake balls before.
In many of the recipes I have seen they actually use the word truffles in quotes.
Since they are supposed to look & taste like truffles, then they should be quite dense & moist.
I read the recipe in the recipe section.. given that you start with two cups of cake, then the amount of liquid listed should not be too much. (unless you started with a very moist cake)
Let me tell you what I usually do;... I go by 'touch & see'.
At first I only put the cake in the mixer and let it run till it looks like crumbs; then I add about 1/2 of the planned amount of liquid; mix it & then test it by taking a small amount and rolling it; if it sticks together & holds its round shape when placed on the table, then it's ready; if it is too crumbly, or does not hold together, I add more liquid;
For an extra treat, I have added warm melted chocolate (semi sweet for chocolate cake crumbs; and white chocolate for all others) when I add the liquid; as the chocolate cools, it helps the little 'truffles' hold their shape better.
Once they are rolled into little balls; let them sit for a while... then, depending on what's available, I roll them in icing sugar, or cocoa, or coconut, or chocolate jimmies; For special occasions they get dipped in melted chocolate, & decorated with chocolate swirls.
Don't be afraid to experiment: mix 2 different cake flavours; match the liquer to the flavors; use whipping cream instead of flavored creamed;dip chocolate cakes balls in white chocolate & decorate with dark, or vice versa... so many possibilities.
Sorry for making this so long... l

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 3:27am
post #13 of 14

gosh no fascination!! don't be sorry .. that's how we get ideas from people who has done them and tried different ways.. we think it's great that you shared all the information!! icon_smile.gif

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 27 Jul 2006 , 3:36am
post #14 of 14

thank you, ntertayneme

it's my pleasue to share, I have learned quite a bit from just reading others' comments.
it's just that I often find that people are looking for the quick solution & don't like to read long messages.
My ' truffles ' have always been a great hit!
(p.s. being from Montreal, I love the name of your site!! - au plaisir!!)
Ciao

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%