Red Icing

Decorating By chef46 Updated 24 Jul 2006 , 4:03pm by dada

chef46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chef46 Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 2:21am
post #1 of 14

Hello All,

This is my first post. I hope this works. I enjoy cake decorating very much and have "experimented" for about 25 years. I can never seem to get a true red color to my icing. Does any one have any tips about this.

Also - I am looking for a cake decorating class in the south central PA area.

Thanks for any help you can give!

13 replies
cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 2:30am
post #2 of 14

Welcome to Cake Central! 25 years!? You're a pro, I'm sure!
I'm interested to see the answer to your question, too. I know other people have asked it and I'm sure there are other threads you could find if you searched through old forums.
I have never had a lot of luck with red..Although, last week, I used some candy color in my BC and the red was pretty good. I don't know if that was a no-no to use those colors, but the taste was fine.
Good luck!
Cindy

ashlymomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlymomx2 Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 2:33am
post #3 of 14

I've read in other forums that people color it orange first and then add red, that way you don't have to add as much red and the color that comes out is a nice deep red. Its worth a try.

Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 2:38am
post #4 of 14

Hello & Welcome....My Daughter did an Elmo Cake and the icing was a bit bitter. So we asked our instructor for help. She suggested we use the tube icing first for coloring and then add the no taste red. There was also a thread in this forum on using a red Kool-aid. I'm going to test small batches to see how it works out. Sorry I can't help any more than that. But your at the right place for asking and finding an answer. icon_smile.gif

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 2:44am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningglories

Hello & Welcome....My Daughter did an Elmo Cake and the icing was a bit bitter. So we asked our instructor for help. She suggested we use the tube icing first for coloring and then add the no taste red. There was also a thread in this forum on using a red Kool-aid. I'm going to test small batches to see how it works out. Sorry I can't help any more than that. But your at the right place for asking and finding an answer. icon_smile.gif

I'm really curious about this one. Let us know how it turns out.

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 2:48am
post #6 of 14

I tint rose colour first then red with a touch of black and or burgandy. Would love to know how the kool aid works too.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 2:49am
post #7 of 14

Try using AmeriColor Reds. If you're using Wilton, it can be really difficult to get to red (takes a lot!) and if you do, even with no taste red, there can be a bitter aftertaste.

flutist14_99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flutist14_99 Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 2:50am
post #8 of 14

There was definetly a long thread here with peoples pictures and stuff using the no-taste red with red kool-aid. It looked quite nice to however, I personally have not tried it. They also mentioned that the icing took on the flavor of the kool-aid to, in this particular case I think it was cherry.

Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 3:16am
post #9 of 14

regymusic....

will do.... thumbs_up.gif

look for a report back on the results of my science project. icon_smile.gif

edited to thank Lisa.... icon_wink.gif

Thanks Lisa, for the additional info. for my expierment

Gloria I

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 22 Jul 2006 , 3:20am
post #10 of 14

Americolors. americolors, americolors!
True red that deepens as it dries, beautiful! It does not taste bitter unless you use a lot by mistake (did this the first time I used it as I thought I would need a ton of color after using the Wilton colors). All their colors become richer over time, so don't be tempted to over do it!
Diane

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 2:08am
post #11 of 14

I always add a bit of cocoa to it first and that gets it a nice deep red and tastes yummy, too

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 23 Jul 2006 , 8:59am
post #12 of 14

I was the one that posted the kool aid thread.. it really worked. look at my circus clown cake, i added cherry kool aid for the red (to wilton red which was going nowhere!)

chef46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chef46 Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 10:48am
post #13 of 14

Thanks everyone for the advice about a true red color. I will try some of the ideas.

dada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dada Posted 24 Jul 2006 , 4:03pm
post #14 of 14

A bit of cocoa worked for me when I tried to achive true burgundy. Try it, it actualy gives a taste of chocolate to decor as well, my family liked it enough!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%