Need Help Now!!! Football Helmet...

Decorating By Starkie Updated 8 Sep 2007 , 12:44pm by jibbies

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 10:50am
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to make the face mask for a football helmet. I tried using the MMF/denture powder material this morning (didn't have any gumtex), but it is just coming out really stretchy and I can't mold or shape it at all. This is for a cake I have to deliver tomorrow morning! Any suggestions on how to make this face mask on short notice? Maybe candy clay?

Help me, PLEASE!

TIA!
<S>

5 replies
DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 11:05am
post #2 of 6

Starkie, I don't know where Smithfield is, but I know that in the Charlotte area, we have a very high humidity today, so that might be part of the issue. I know that my fondant didn't want to cooperate yesterday because of it. I kept having to add sugar. icon_razz.gif

Does it have to be completely edible? Would it be possible to do something like make the framework out of pipe cleaners or wire, then cover that with the fondant mixture? Just a thought! Let us know how it comes out!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:48am
post #3 of 6

I've been doing research on a helmet cake since I'm making one in a couple of weeks. I like the idea I came across to use floral wire covered in fondant or gumpaste for the mask. You might try this.

Jacqui

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:18pm
post #4 of 6

or if you make the cake big enough, get the coach to let you borrow a real face mask (or give it to you if it is an old one -- I got two this way)

ceme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceme Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:43pm
post #5 of 6

Can you shape the helmet out of rice krispy treats? Use pipe cleaners for the face guard and cover both in buttercream and then fondant. Is the helmet for decoration or do you have to eat it? If you have to eat it then use gumpaste for the face guard and still use the rice krispies. You can google football helmet and get a picture of one for modeling purpose.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 6

Hey Starkie
I lived in Goldsboro for 23 years before moving last June, just wanted to say hi and I wish I had found this site a long time ago! Where do you normally shop for your cake supplies, anyplace other than the run of the mill because I can tell you a couple of places. Good luck on the helmet!
Jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%