Easiest Way To Produce Writing On A Cake

Decorating By mamakau Updated 20 Jul 2006 , 6:28am by mamakau

mamakau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakau Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 8

How do you do the piping gel method when you need to write something on a cake? I have a small unopened container of piping gel, I know I need to open it icon_lol.gif but am clueless as to what the next step is. Do you color the piping gel with Wilton colors (the kind you use to color icing)?

Plan B for me is to try the fbct method with lettering....is that possible? If I pipe some BC letters on wax paper then throw them in the freezer, will they peel right off when I'm ready to place them on the cake?

7 replies
bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 8

I think there is an article on the home page about how to use your piping get, but I sometimes use royal icing. I write out the letters or print them out, then place a piece of parchment paper or wax paper over top of them, and then trace with royal icing. when they get hard, I put them on top of the cake. Make extras, they sometimes break. I did this on my Shamrock "Good Luck" cake in my photos. Yes, you should be able to freeze them and pull off.

bubba21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba21 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 8

I too would like to know the answer..I have piping gel not opened too.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 8

Well, the purpose of piping gel is to add it to your buttercream you are writing with for a smoother, easier flow. If you want to do a piping gel tranfer, you can put waxed paper over the picture/lettering you want, use tip 1 or 2 with piping gel in your bag, and trace over the pic/lettering. You then flip the wax paper onto your cake and gently press down, the pic/lettering will then be on the cake and now you can use buttercream to trace over the gel. Of course, you have to have a mirror image of you pic/lettering so it will come out the correct way on the cake. Does this make sense?

mamakau Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 8

Yeah, I think the royal icing method will be plan C for me. The article on how to use piping gel is confusing to me...

ladybug03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug03 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 8

When I was starting out I always lightly traced out the wording on the cake with a toothpick. Then wrote over it w/thinned buttercream. You can always resmooth the cake top w/a paper towel or your finger if you mess up toothpicking!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 8

I haven't had great luck with piping gel. This is the way I have tried it-I hope someone else has a better way-print out lettering in reverse, cover with wax paper, trace letters with piping gel, flip wax paper onto cake and lightly press, peel off paper and gel will stick to the cake, then trace the letters.

Last night I had alot of writing to put on a cake. I printed out the wording in reverse. Traced right on the paper with royal and let it dry. This morning I used it like an impression mat --worked great!!

Sometimes if it is not alot of writing I use the pin prick method. Print out letters not reversed. Lay paper down on floral foam and stick it with a pin repeatedly. This will leave the back of the paper rough. Use it as an impression mat. Also a great method!

mamakau Posted 20 Jul 2006 , 6:28am
post #8 of 8

Wow, thank you so much, all of you for your great tips and advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%