Why!!! Why Do Customers To This?

Decorating By kmoores Updated 6 Jun 2007 , 2:37am by idoweddingcookies

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 10:04pm
post #31 of 52

I really hope we hear what the end of the story is...

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:18pm
post #32 of 52

hey...where did she go? I'm sitting on the edge of my seat here!!!

Home_fry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Home_fry Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:38pm
post #33 of 52

Wow! I can't imagine the nerve of some people! I could never imagine even asking such a dumb question if a price had already been agreed upon. If there were issues with the price then the customer should have voice it at the time the price was discussed or gone elsewhere for the cake. I hope she didn't leave with the cake! If she did, this customer will now be expecting real cheap prices!!!!

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 11:59pm
post #34 of 52

I know I am guilty of underpricing, but there's a difference between undercharging yourself and letting someone else swindle you.

When she heard my door slam in her face, she would have realized that she could take her forty dollars and shove it.

She probably went and told everyone what she did. If you gave her the cake, you at least need to contact her and let her know the deal. If you decide to let her get away with this, still inform her that this sort of thing will never happen again, so there's no need in spreading the word.

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:01am
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

I really hope we hear what the end of the story is...

me too what happened

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:02am
post #36 of 52

Since you are all dying to hear the ending... it is my sister in law who KNOWS that it wasn't enough by the look on my face. The cake was for the Preschool graduation for 100 + guests at the local church, which was last week!! icon_cry.gif I'll chaulk this one up to experience and a donation to the church, but will never NEVER Never do a cake for my stupid SIL again. icon_redface.gif Oh and from now on, it will be a written contract even for birthday cakes with payment up front (for her anyway).

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:04am
post #37 of 52

Good experince....its a lesson for everyone here!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:04am
post #38 of 52

Your sil??? I would call her for sure and let her know she owes you $80! I don't do free cakes for anyone, and I wouldn't do that much a discount for my own mil!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:06am
post #39 of 52

If you decide to make the balance a "donation" make sure you get documentation from someone at the pre-school so that you can use the donation as a tax deduction!

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:07am
post #40 of 52

Wait, it was your SIL that did this to you? icon_eek.gif That's terrible! Family memebers KNOW just how much work, time and love go into each cake we create...I'm so sorry.......................

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:08am
post #41 of 52

Okay ,,, here's the thing ,,, I started getting PAID jobs before I finished my Wilton class ... which was great. The word of mouth rule worked really great at my church and I needed the 'jobs' more than I needed the money.

But this is how it would happen. "Hey, I hear you do cakes. Will you do a cake for me? I just need something simple for such and such and need it to feed so many people." I would say okay and do the cake becasue I was not even done with my Wilton classes I didn't really know what to charge ... so I'd get the cake done and THEN they would say, "This is great, How much do I owe you?" I would flounder say a price and I never had a problem getting paid... it would usually be fine. MOST people would pay me well above the price I quoted them, so I would aim low on prices for friends ... what got me was when I quoted a price and the person would say, "You really need to raise your prices! You could get so much more for this!" And I would think "Well then why don't you tip me?" Then they would say, "Well, if you need any more let me know!" I guess I didn't phrase it very well in my post ... they would hand me a low amount becasue I would usually feel bad asking what I thought it was worth. Like I said -- I HAVE MADE THAT MISTAKE!

I started calculating and listing my prices and that helped ... but being asked, "Do you need more money?" still irritates me and makes me rather uncomfortable. I have a cake in my pics that sells in a bakery for $1,250! Could I use the money? Sure ... Do I ask that price? No way!!

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:40am
post #42 of 52

I wondered if it was someone related! Someone who knows you make cakes ... asks ... knows your prices ... but what do you say!!??

I'm so sorry! And that it was obvious she had underpaid you! Sorry! How do you have a written agrement with a family member?!? (I had to practically beg the money off of some friends of mine ... total miscommunication on who was paying for the wedding!) Friends fill out paper work now! I hope you were able to pay for your supplies!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:43am
post #43 of 52

As I mentioned on another thread....sometimes our families are the worst customers.

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:57am
post #44 of 52

Remember, most people don't know the value of our cakes. They just think...box of cake 1.30, can of frosting 1.50...so perhaps it wasn't "obvious" to her.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:12am
post #45 of 52

I hace posted this before but once my mom asked me why does it take you so long to throw some frosting on a cake. Imagine my mom than one day she saw what went into it and I thkn that she got but family more than anyone else think tha twe just slap the frosting on some cake that came from our easy bake oven and that is that. Well they need to sit in the same room and see the hours and work that goes into one of these and they just might get it to!!! Sorry this happened to you, next time family or not make sure the price is said, mentioned, sang, written, tattoed, post outside there window or whatever it will take so that they know this way there is no misunderstanding. Better luck on the next one.

Vicky

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:24am
post #46 of 52

I've been there... but mine is worse... my own mother ordered a cake from me and I figured she'd give me at the very least $20.~ for making it and decorating it... she didn't give me squat!!!!!!! The cake I made was a 12x15" sheet for a funeral "reception" and was for her best friend of many many years... (40+) and I never even got a thank you let alone any money for it. It took me money out of my (dad's) pocket lol for the supplies because she didn't step up to even pay for that so I told him I needed $25.~ to get supplies and he huffed and handed it over lol but she didn't even say thank you and I've YET to hear about the cake.. that was in January....

Needless to say I don't do cakes for mom or her friends anymore without them signing or at least getting a copy of a contract that states the price very clearly beforehand.

As for my SIL.... we don't mesh well anyway and this would just make matters really really REALLY bad for us... I would call her up or call your brother up and tell him... she owe's you $80.~ and you deserve that money! You quoted her the price upfront and she knew beforehand that it was a $120.~ cake and still didn't give you anywhere near it... someone needs to step up. I'm sure your brother would understand I mean really he's married to her he knows what she's like icon_wink.gif if they are like that with family and stuff like this... they are like that with EVERYTHING! icon_wink.gif

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:25am
post #47 of 52

I don't do business with family, it's too complicated. They get their cakes for free, or as a gift, or if I think it's all too hard, I tell them I'm already booked.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:42am
post #48 of 52

Whenever I would complain about being taken advantage of, my wise father would gently smile and say, "No one can take advantage of you unless YOU let them."

How did he get to be so smart? icon_smile.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:43am
post #49 of 52

Family, especially in law's can be terrible. My MIL and 3 SIL's would probably write me a hot check. Live and learn........

cupcakegirl27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakegirl27 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:55am
post #50 of 52

I would make sure that customers pay you ahead of time. The whole amount must be paid in full before the cake leaves or is delivered. NO $$,NO CAKE!!!!!

Gretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gretta Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:02am
post #51 of 52

I have learned over time how to handle cakes for family members and friends. I used to say, "Oh, let this be my gift to ____." Well, I realized my 'gift' was being overlooked when I would rarely receive a thank you note (not unusual in this day and age for birthdays and anniversaries, but most newly weds write them). Anyway, now I go through the payment plan with the family member or friend just as I do with any other client, then once the event is over and everyone has enjoyed my cake, I turn around and give the amount of my payment to the one/s celebrating the special day. Now my 'gift' gets noticed, especially when a 9 or 10 year old gets sometimes up to $100 or over from 'auntie'. And when a newlywed couple gets $$$$ from 'auntie', they take notice!
I know, I know, a gift should just be a gift. However, I finally realized my reputation and integrity was on the line each time I sent a cake out the door as a 'gift'. Now my family and friends have a better appreciation for the work I do.
Btw-- when I do work for the church, I do the same thing, only my payment goes to our building fund, but it comes from me. (A good steward can take advantage of the tax laws.)

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 2:37am
post #52 of 52

First thing my business advisor told me was NO MORE FREE CAKES.. not for family, friends.. nobody.
Seperate you from your business.. family must understand that you are not your business...
Is that working for me so far... for some yes, others not so much, but I'm getting better.. give me the last couple of months of my college program, and it'll be No No No... to free or cheap cakes.
I know how hard it is when it's family, but geez Louise, that's a big difference in price... nice SIL... icon_rolleyes.gif
Leason learned!! argh...
Have a great night, and forget it, like you said never again... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%