My Fair Cake??

Decorating By alicia_froedge Updated 14 Jul 2006 , 7:06pm by prettycake

alicia_froedge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicia_froedge Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 14

I want to enter the fair this year with a cake. They say its the first year for this catergory but I thought in years past that I had seen cakes, but whatever. The only rules are that it has to be an 8" round or a 9x13. It will be judged on appearance and taste. This is where I am stumped!!! I was going to do a cake iced in chcolate buttercream with ganache piping and choc. covered strawberries. ....The problem - the fair is a week long and tempatures in 90's. The cake I had thought of will be a complete wreck by the end. So what recipes would you suggest that I use that won't be such a disaster.

13 replies
debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 14

don't they usually judge the cake in the beginning of the fair? If that's when the judging is done I'd say go ahead and make it.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 14

Are you sure the cake has to be real...I can't imagine a real competition cake sitting for a week....

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 14

Check with the fair people. At our State fair, the judging takes place the first day, when everything is fresh. The remains stay on for the duration, but everything is judged the first day. The ribbons remain on the winners until the end of the fair.

beez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beez Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 14

She said they would be judging on taste and appearance. I hope they have to be real cakes. icon_razz.gif

alicia_froedge Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Are you sure the cake has to be real...I can't imagine a real competition cake sitting for a week....

Thats what I thought too! So I talked to the girl in charge, thats what she said and then I went to the person ahead of her and she said the same thing!! It would have been much easier if they were dummy cakes then I would have done everything in royal icing with no problems!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 14

When I entered the California State Fair Cake Show last year, it had to be real cake from scratch, and my cake sat for three weeks, in a display glass case, but that was after it was judged on taste, flavor, texture and overall.
The cake had to be delivered that morning of the judging. But after the judging I really didn't care what they do with it. They were very specific about disposable boards because they don't want to be bothered with returning stuff. As long as the cake is good during the judging, then don't worry about it after. It's all in their hands...Good luck..
thumbs_up.gif
BTW I will be in it again this year.. it's a lot of fun..

alicia_froedge Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 14

But what about all of my friends that I told I would have a cake. When they go to see it the cake will be horrible.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 14

Sorry I sounded so shocked but here there is never real cakes left in a display at a competition due to the rancid smell of say butter or something else rotting.But I suppose a cake wouldn't rot like other foods.Interesting....

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:44pm
post #10 of 14

Actually you would be surprised how bad icing smells on a moist cake that has been sitting for weeks....it is not a pretty smell at all!!!

prettycake Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 14

Then they just have to go see it during judging, if it's an open judgement.
Some fairs don't do open judging.. they can come look after, but as what you said it won't look very pretty, just let them know ahead of time.

If there is so many entries, they only display the winners or have a big stand and display all of them..that really depends what they want to do.

Last year I did Fondant.. It survived the whole three weeks. It was tossed on the last day of the fair. Same day we had the awards ceremony. I am again doing Fondant this year. But the inside will be Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese and Maple Filling, since my theme is Harvest. take photos and show us your cake. Ganache should be alright. Anycake will stand heat, but not all kinds of icing.

gina1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina1221 Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 14

The fair here in NC usually lasts about two weeks... and the cakes sit in a display case for the entirety... yuck! They really look gross toward the end of the fair but they are judged the first day with the ribbons being placed with the cake (oh and your name goes right in there with the cake for the two weeks). icon_eek.gif

I think it's a great opportunity to get some recognition for all of your hard work but the advertising (sitting in a display case for two weeks) can't be good. icon_mad.gif There must be a better way.

Best of luck on making a decision.

alicia_froedge Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 14

This is so stressful!! I had actually planned to do a three tiered wedding cake. I was so excited!!!! ....then I find out that it can only be an 8" round or 9x13!!!!!!!!!! I was crused. I could enter it in the state fair, but I have a lot to do that weekend! So I don't know if I can handle the stress!

prettycake Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 7:06pm
post #14 of 14

Well, if you will only be making one 8" instead of a three tiered cake that you had wanted in the first place, then should be less work for you then, from a three tier to a little one 8".. just relax, whatever you can do ahead of time do it. Like flowers or other decors you might want to put on it.
Don't worry, it youl be fine. But I know what you mean. Last year was my first time, but I won anyway. Best of Show, Best of Division, Best of Class and Blue Ribbon (First Place)..I got more than I had anticipated..
You'll be fine..Things will go smooth if you are organized.. Good Luck :USA
:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%