Performance 14X3 Pan (Round)

Decorating By downthealley Updated 17 Jul 2006 , 2:15am by Samsgranny

downthealley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
downthealley Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 7:05am
post #1 of 19

my baby shower is sunday and Im making the cake. The bottom 2 layers are going to be the 14x3 and 10x3 performance plus round pan. My question is... not by measuring cups but by box mixes (I use betty crocker) how many box mixes does it take for the 14x3 and how many for the 10x3.

also, after I got home I noticed that it said that the heating core is recommended. Do you yall use the heating core and is it neccessary for me to use it? What is everyones opinion on that? I dont mind buying it but dont want to if I dont have to.

Thanks in advance!!
Im waaaay too adicted to this site!

18 replies
1busylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1busylady Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:43am
post #2 of 19

I don't use Bc mixes, but what I would try is make up 2 mixes and see how much it fills the pan and have and extra box on hand to fill in if you need to.
I used a flower nail when I use that pan for my brothers wedding cake and it worked great.
just put the nail with the head at the bottom and the "point" up. Easier to remove when it comes out of the pan, and heats through better.

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 9:15am
post #3 of 19

We just had a thread about DH & 3" pans - they don't work together very well. I made a 10 x 3 and it fell - bad. I think you should re-think the pan size. I don't think mixes are to be baked 3". But you can try. I made 2 DH mixes for a 10x3 square. It was perfect....well the outside was....

downthealley Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:13am
post #4 of 19

cowdex.. I dont use DH and thats what the people were having problems with on that thread. I just went and read it. I use Betty Crocker. That was even suggested to me from a friend that has been doing cakes for sometime now. She recommended the pans I bought and the cake mixes.

1busylady.. thanks for your suggestions! I will let you know how it turns out. Im starting on them tomorrow just in case something happens and Ill have enough to fix it. lol thumbs_up.gif

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:24am
post #5 of 19

if you happen to have 3 flower nails, use them instead of the heating core. I grease them well, and place them evenly spaced apart in the center before pouring the batter in.
This is from Wilton:
for the 14" pan, it says to use 15 cups of batter, so 3 mixes-give or take a little batter.
the 10"-it says 8 cups of batter, so mix up 2 boxes and eye the filling so you don't go over 2/3rds the way full, and yes they are for the 3" deep pans.

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:26am
post #6 of 19

It will take at least 3 dh mixes and make sure you use a heating core. I had problems with my cakes this week but found out it was the eggs they were to fresh and the ph balance was off another baker told me about it always buy your eggs 1 week in advance and use extra large. After I finished my flat of eggs everything was ok again.

downthealley Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:27am
post #7 of 19

THANK YOU!!!!

you were soo very helpful. Where did you find that Wilton info at? was it on their website or on the cake pan instructions? maybe Ijust didnt look too good,lol. Being 34 weeks pregnant wears ya out!! lol thumbs_up.gif

Thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

downthealley Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:29am
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesondemand

It will take at least 3 dh mixes and make sure you use a heating core. I had problems with my cakes this week but found out it was the eggs they were to fresh and the ph balance was off another baker told me about it always buy your eggs 1 week in advance and use extra large. After I finished my flat of eggs everything was ok again.

Im assuming that most mixes are the same size as I DO NOT use DH. My eggs are more than a week old so think I should be good on that one too.

I have several flower nails and will use those instead of getting the heating core.. unless my first attempt fails. thumbs_up.gif

jscakes Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:31am
post #9 of 19

Yes, it is on their website...well, it used to be and I printed them out!
Good luck on your cake, and best wishes on the upcoming birth of your baby as well!

downthealley Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:33am
post #10 of 19

do you happen to have them on some form that can be emailed?

Im going to look at their website again and see if I cant find it.

Thanks.. you have been a HUGE help and also, thanks on the well wishes for the baby. Another scheduled c section. icon_cry.gif but itll all be good!

Take care and thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

jscakes Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:43am
post #11 of 19

You are very welcome!

I am searching as well, and I'll also ask if you use the baking strips when you bake.
I know everyone has their likes and dislikes, but I use them and swear by them, plus lowering the temperature to 325*.

here is a link..can I do this on here? Well, here goes:
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

downthealley Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:45am
post #12 of 19

I have some baking strips and thought about using them on this particular pan.

here is my email address.. [email protected] feel free to email anytime. Im always on here.

I need my printer to work icon_mad.gif so I can print your posts.

goin to look at thte link

downthealley Posted 15 Jul 2006 , 5:52am
post #13 of 19

Right On (in my best Joe Dirt voice, lol) icon_lol.gif

Thanks yall! Ive already got it saved thanks to you two.

and I only thought I was goin to bed now icon_cool.gif

downthealley Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 12:30am
post #14 of 19

got my 14x3 cake done and all looks well icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the advice!

I just put the 10x3 in the oven so we'll see how it turns out icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 12:38am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by downthealley

do you happen to have them on some form that can be emailed?

Im going to look at their website again and see if I cant find it.

Thanks.. you have been a HUGE help and also, thanks on the well wishes for the baby. Another scheduled c section. icon_cry.gif but itll all be good!

Take care and thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

Here is a link to wilton's page that has additonal links on the bottom of the page. The links take you to 2 and 3 inch deep pans for either wedding or party servings. The bater amount is the same, but servings is different between the charts.

HTH

Leily

http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/index.cfm

downthealley Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 12:41am
post #16 of 19

thanks!

I stayed up late last night and played around some more on Wiltons site and found all sorts of stuff. I printed off alot of it. I keep a binder with all my pages in page protectors so they dont get messed up.

Thanks!!

Lacee

jscakes Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 12:23am
post #17 of 19

Okay, now we need a picture of your cake! icon_smile.gif

downthealley Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 1:11am
post #18 of 19

ok, here it is lol
LL

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile