Hi-Ratio In Imbc?

Decorating By pish Updated 3 Jun 2007 , 11:38am by CupOfButter

pish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pish Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:52am
post #1 of 5

Is it possible to use hi-ratio shortning to replace some of the butter in IMBC? I'm trying to get a "whiter" apperance without having to spend $10.00 a pound for white butter.

TIA

4 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 2:30am
post #2 of 5

Only once did I try replacing 1/4 of the butter with Crisco and I HATED it! It changed the texture and the taste. It had the same greasy mouth feel as buttercream made with powdered sugar and Crisco, it wasn't gritty though, but Yuck!!! Don't do it, you will ruin a perfectly lovely icing.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 7:51am
post #3 of 5

Here's a recipe for Toba Garrett's SMBC that has a note about replacing 6 oz. of the butter with hi-ratio in hot weather:

http://tinyurl.com/32urhj
(From epicurious.com.)

Crisco is too greasy for my taste, that's why I love hi-ratio. icon_smile.gif

cake_freak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_freak Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 8:19am
post #4 of 5

moms getting me some high ratio tomarrow /today (due its 300 lol am) but i want to try high ratio due i live in ky like 30 mine to an hour away from tn
and it gets UNGODLY hot then my kitchen gets that much hotter then me sweating (its horrible!) but im hopeing it works!

CupOfButter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupOfButter Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 11:38am
post #5 of 5

I use half hi ratio half butter all the time. Does not change the texture at all. The taste is less buttery and most people like that way better. I do add in 1 tbsp vanilla and 1 tsp almond....I wouldn't use crisco in any icing because it does have a greasy mouth feel and an after taste yuck. Hi ratio is the key!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%