Need Advice On Cakes Please...

Decorating By gismo12002 Updated 2 Jun 2007 , 1:30am by gismo12002

gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 31 May 2007 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 12

I have a resturant that has "tried" my cakes (2 cakes) and says they want me to do the cakes for that resturant. Not just decorated cakes but cakes form scratch. I was given a cake 1/2 sheet box from there and I noted it was from Sam's club. I know I can't compete against the prices when I saw the label was $18.00 for a 1/2 sheet cake! I usually get that for a 1/4 sheet cake! Now--I have said (and they have tasted) that scratch cakes is lots better than store bought! Oh well--Maybe I'm just venting! Concerned when I saw the price! Any suggestions on this?? TIA!

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 May 2007 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 12

"Yes, Walmart (Sam's) cakes are cheaper than mine. And your point is.....?" icon_confused.gif

Don't compare apples to applesauce. If they want a Sam's price, then they can buy it from Sam's. I am very willing to walk away from non-profitable business.

gismo12002 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 12:42am
post #3 of 12

Thank you so much indydebi.

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 12:51am
post #4 of 12

What did they give you the box for? To let you know how big they want the cakes, or to tell you how much you were going to pay for it? I agree w/ indydebi - they want Walmart prices, then they go to Walmart. You get what you pay for...

pifsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pifsmom Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:01am
post #5 of 12

Save your talents for folks who truly appreciate your craft. I've had my share of Wal-mart/Sam's Club cakes....no thanks. It's QUALITY, not mass produced quantity. Bake on girl! thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:19am
post #6 of 12

Did they give you the cake box to make a sheet cake for them? Didn't understand from your post how you wound up with a used box from Sam's.

It's hard to believe that your contact at the restaurant doesn't know it costs more to produce a cake from scratch than it does to buy a mass produced generic cake from Sam's.

As has been said, if it's not worthwhile for you - don't do it!

HTH

gismo12002 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 12

Hi All--Thanks for answering my "vent" problem! My daughter just started working at this resturant. So her and another woman that works there thought I could use the extra box, instead of it being throwed away. That is how I saw the price sticker. Thanks for all the advice--I won't do it (make cakes) for nothing! Liked the comments given to me concerning this! Thanks again and thanks for letting me vent.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

"Yes, Walmart (Sam's) cakes are cheaper than mine. And your point is.....?" icon_confused.gif

Don't compare apples to applesauce. If they want a Sam's price, then they can buy it from Sam's. I am very willing to walk away from non-profitable business.

you couldn't have said it better

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 12

The people that are concerned with prices aren't going to change. But, their guest will notice.

I will eat anything with sugar but when I go to my friends parties I never touch the cake. They get them at Farmer Jack's and they are horrid. They have such an artificial taste.

Funny thing I do all their cakes free but they like the one's at the store better. Trust me it's not my cakes. I've been baking for almost 40 yrs. and people rave about my cakes.

My daughter is a wedding decorator, she will have a Bride order from her and not even blink at her prices. She is by no means cheap. They come to me for their cake, I'm dirt cheap and they still want to bargin. I just have to tell them my prices are very low I can't lower them.

reapergrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reapergrrl Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 12

I may b a total noobie, but even I know that store brand, machien made goods cannot stand up to the hard work and beauty of something made from scratch. That like comparing lunchables to my mom's hot turkey sandwiches.

that just made me hungry, i wonder if we have some leftovers in the fridge.

reapergrrl

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 12

Everyone here has said what I was going to tell you: if they want your freshly made, delicious cakes from scratch, then they will pay you what your price is. ("I charge $x.xx for this size cake.") Don't stray from that. If they want an artificially-flavored, cardboard-tasting, mass produced "confection" (I gag at the thought of this) coming from Sam's or Wal-Mart, then they can go pay for that.

The trick, I have found, is that some people want to nickle and dime us for our work but still love it. If you tell them "I charge this much for this cake", they will usually pay it. If they ask for a discount, it's up to you to give it or not give it. It all depends on YOU. It's YOUR BUSINESS to run however you choose.

HTH,

Odessa

gismo12002 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 1:30am
post #12 of 12

Thank you all so much for your comments!! Really a booster for me!! Was a bad day and needed to vent and really loved the comments given! Thanks again! Will take the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%