How Do I Respond To This Comment?

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 7 Jul 2006 , 6:12pm by ntertayneme

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 7

So DH and I were coordinating schedules and I told him that Pat Catan's wanted to know which days I wanted to teach the Wilton I class in August (I started teaching there this past May).

He said "I don't know why you are creating your own competition."

(I am working on building up my cake decorating business out of my home)

I didn't know what to say. He is very supportive when it comes to my cake decorating, even ordered business cards for me as a surprise.

Anyway, one of the kids stared yelling and we never got around to finishing the conversation.
Any thoughts on this?

Cathy

6 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 7

I don't think that people take the Wilton courses to be a professional. I would guess that most do it for fun or to learn how to make cakes for their kids. I wouldn't worry about the competition! Besides, if you didn't teach the course, someone else would!

KellieRSM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellieRSM Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with beachcakes. Cake decorating for most (me included) is a hobby....a new craft to learn. Most are moms that want to make cool cakes for their kids and I've met women who are learning so they can make their own daughters wedding cakes. Who would want to be their competition, right? I think it's pretty cute though how protective your dear hubby is of you...so galant! icon_smile.gif

ashlymomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlymomx2 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I don't think that people take the Wilton courses to be a professional. I would guess that most do it for fun or to learn how to make cakes for their kids. I wouldn't worry about the competition! Besides, if you didn't teach the course, someone else would!

Totally agree. I am a newbie at decorating and just started my Wilton 1 class. All the women I have talked to are doing it for their kids or family. Not 1 person said they wanted to do it professionally. Your hubby seems to be looking out for your best interests.

CakesWithAttitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesWithAttitude Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 7

Just tell him that for it to be competition they would have to be as good or better than you. And that if you are as good as he says then that won't happen b/c you will continue to get better.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 7

I run a small cake buisness out of my home as well as teach the Wilton courses. I don't think it creates competition at all. If anything it adds to your ability to sell yourself. It sounds great to customers to hear that you are skilled enough to teach courses in cake decorating. And even though you are not allowed to talk about your business in class, if any one approaches you out of the classroom or asks you if you would be willing to make them a cake I think it is safe to say " well I just happen to sell them." So it could create buisness for you. At any rate, teaching a skill only makes you better at it. Look at the big cake names out there, they all teach classes. I don't think they are worried much about their students becoming competition.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 7

I have to say that my sister said the exact same thing to me... she asked why would I want to teach someone else so that they could take business from me. Well, number 1, I don't feel people "take" business from me.. number 2, I get to do something I love doing and teach others the joy and fun in cake decorating... number 3, I get to earn money doing what I love; not only in teaching it, but also in doing cakes for others ... to me it's a win/win situation.. and like everyone else stated, most people doing these classes take it to do cakes for their families ... I, more than likely, haven't met a single person in the classes, so how is that taking business from me if I didn't do cakes for them to begin with? lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%