Attaching Dried Fondant Dec. To Cakes

Decorating By mcataylor Updated 30 May 2007 , 12:59pm by mcataylor

mcataylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcataylor Posted 30 May 2007 , 1:59am
post #1 of 7

I made this cake last weekend. I actually made a bow for the top and lets just say it didn't work out to well.....

So I used some extra swirlies (as my daughter calls them) and attached them by sliding the dowel rod back into the swirlies and inserting dowel rod into the cake. It worked for a last minute solution but I don't like being able to see part of the dowel rods. I did like the swirlies though. If I did it in the future what would be the best way to attach them? I don't know if wires would work because they are so thin....

TIA Christie
LL

6 replies
jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:04am
post #2 of 7

I'm sorry I don't have an answer, I do not have a whole lot of experience...trying to learn. However, I have to tell you that your cake is beautiful and I also love the swirlies! icon_razz.gif Your colors and design are so pretty and festive.
Pat yourself on the back for a wonderful job!

And now some more experienced decorators can help...

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:05am
post #3 of 7

Cute Cake!!!! thumbs_up.gif

You could try putting gumpaste in with your fondant (50/50 gumpaste/fondant) and they would dry harder.
Sometimes I put a toothpick in something like this when it's "wet" and that works. For the "swirlies" you would have to re-design the end next to the cake though....
Maybe florist wire would work good. Put it in before they're completely dry though and it would work easier I think.
Hope you get some good tips on this one!!!!

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:16am
post #4 of 7

I make my curlies by cutting strips of sugarpaste, then I insert the wire then squeeze the bottoms a little around wire to make a point. wrap around skewers let dry. I use a flower pick in cake filled with fondant and insert wires. If you can see the hole from the flower pick I lay some unwired curlies around the base!!

kissmycookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissmycookie Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:40am
post #5 of 7

I add gum-tex and that's the only way mine hold up. I've tried using wire but perhaps I don't have the right kind plus with how we use these on cupcakes it's just easier to use the gum-tex and it's still edible just not as hard as gumpaste nor as soft as plain fondant?

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 30 May 2007 , 11:50am
post #6 of 7

I love "swirlies" they make a cake look sooo festive. The way I do mine is to form them on a straw when I get to the bottom of the swirly I leave about an inch of the strand lay flat (not twisted around the straw). I then poke a small hole in the fondant and instert. I do make them from 50/50 the gumpaste helps them dry faster and harder. Hope this helps.
LL

mcataylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcataylor Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:59pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much to everyone. They are all such good ideas that I will have to try. I did only use fondant, so next time i will definatley add some gumpaste. I think they are so cute and worth pursuing!

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%