Angel Food Cake

Baking By me-cullen Updated 7 Jul 2006 , 3:55am by fmandds

me-cullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me-cullen Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 12:42am
post #1 of 12

does anyone know, if you can bake an angel food cake in a regular cake pan instead of a tube pan. I have offered to do my sister in law's wedding cake and her fav cake is angel food.

11 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 12:45am
post #2 of 12

I don't think you can. I think the tube is needed to make sure the middle doesn't sink. Plus, you need to invert it when it comes out of the oven until it's cool. However, they do make different sizes of those pans, and if she wants an angel food wedding cake, you could probably do it. I wouldn't think stacking them would work, but if you got separator plates or that floating tiers stand, it would work pretty well, I would think. A light frosting of some sort and some flowers....sounds good to me.

fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 12:55am
post #3 of 12

I have baked an angel food in a 9X13 pan(years ago) and when I read the directions of inverting I thought that is just silly. So I didn't do it. The middle sunk badly! I think if you inverted it it might be okay. I do, however, think you wouldn't be able to get it out of the pan cleanly enough to decorate and put on wedding cakes stands.

I know of a recipe where you bake the angel food cake normally, in a bundt pan, invert it, pull out and slice into 1 inch slices. Then stack and stack on top of each other and next to each to build your cake. Attach pieces to each other with a simple syrup.

After all that, I would say do a test run. icon_smile.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 1:08am
post #4 of 12

Years ago, I tried making one in a loaf pan. I don't remember what I did except it went flat as a pancake when it was cooling- I never tried that again. Angel food cakes can be decorated as long as you keep things light weight. I love the idea of individual stands at different heights. You might use fresh flowers along the base of each cake and only a simple glaze on the cakes themselves. One thing, if you do make angel food cakes make sure she has a cake breaker rather than a cake knife. Most people don't seem to know how to cut a angel or sponge cake with out mushing them into oblivion.

me-cullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me-cullen Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 1:57am
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the advice, you have probably saved me a lot of stress and grief.

fmandds Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 2:09am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

One thing, if you do make angel food cakes make sure she has a cake breaker rather than a cake knife. Most people don't seem to know how to cut a angel or sponge cake with out mushing them into oblivion.

What is a cake breaker? I either "mush them into oblivion" or it takes me five minutes just to cut one piece. I saw and saw back and forth only letting the weight of the knife cut the piece. Takes forever!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 9:15am
post #7 of 12

a cake breaker is a handle with really long teeth on it, but no blade. Looks kinda like a comb, with longer teeth.

Narie Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 1:05pm
post #8 of 12

Here is a picture of a cake breaker and knife set. Karateka's description is perfect, but they are so strange looking it helps to see one.
LL

cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 12

A good icing for angel food is 7 minute icing - Karo syrup, egg whites, sugar....That is what my Mom made every year when I was little for my birthday cake - wonderful! Also fat free - but a 1000000 calories......

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 12

If you are using a box cake, the directions are right on the box for making cupcakes and loaf cakes....... I just did one this past weekend in the long loaf pan, and it turned out GREAT....... Oh, and I use a serated bread knife for slice it....... no problem !! For 99 cents, give it a try !

Narie Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 1:44pm
post #11 of 12

Kitchen Aid Mixers come with a simple seven minute style frosting recipe that stays soft and is easy to make. The another possibilityis stabelized whipped cream. More pictues of of that type of frosting, one of which is torted and filled.
LL
LL

fmandds Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 3:55am
post #12 of 12

I have never, ever seen one a cake breaker in my life. Just one more thing to add to my list of decorating supplies to find and buy. Thanks so much for the information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%