What Would You Do?

Decorating By debbie2881 Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 4:21pm by debbie2881

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 15

When i took wilton classes i sent the cakes that i made (most of them) to work with my DH and after classes finished i still made practice cakes and sent them also and now they are asking "when is the next cake". 1 guy said he would pay for the ingredients and i even got an order from 1 guy so my question is how would you deal with this? I love doing cakes and i need as much practice as i can get until i get orders and i do want to make them but i have no one else to give them to (no fam & friends where i live). Would you do the cakes to get practice and just charge for the ingredients?? If so how much would you charge for an 8'' round with BC. Thanks sorry its kinda long.

Oh since these are potential buyers do you think that they would say "well you charged $$ for cakes for work how come you are charging me more" when they order. You know what i mean???

14 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 15

My rule of thumb is if you ask for it, you pay for it. If I offer a cake, it's free.

How much you charge is up to you, but doing cakes is much more than how much you spent to buy the things, which with some cakes is surprisingly cheap. If I do my cakes at just cost, it would not be worth it to me. I spend less than $10 making the cake.

My feelings is after you figure out how much it costs you atleast double it, because is it also your time you are taking away from your family and other things you can be doing.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 15

for an 8" with bc I have charged $20.. I did basically what TexasSugar did and double the cost of ingredients etc...

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 15

If someone is asking for the cake, then I would charge them for more than the ingredients!! Charge for that and your time!

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 15

If they ask you to bring in a cake, send them a price list and tell them that a paid order will be required. If you want to practice, or are just feeling generous, do a cake for your family to taste and send in the cut left overs. You can still send in a pretty example if you cut it strategically. That way it looks like you are using your cakes as a business when delivered whole, and are just being friendly when sharing.

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 15

Hi debbie2881 - you wrote: "I love doing cakes and i need as much practice as i can get until i get orders" Sounds to me like you are getting cake orders! Congrats!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Miraculous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miraculous Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 15

Who in the heck offers to pay for only ingredients? Like your time isnt worth anything!!!! What a jerk... Charge them all 25 for 8inch rounds! Other wise they can go buy a nasty grocery store mass produced...

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 5 Jul 2006 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 15

I'm with bethroz....charge them regular price if asked to bring one. Otherwise, cut your practice cakes so they are aware that they aren't getting first crack at it. Sends a not so subtle message.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:16am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraculous

Who in the heck offers to pay for only ingredients? Like your time isnt worth anything!!!! What a jerk... Charge them all 25 for 8inch rounds! Other wise they can go buy a nasty grocery store mass produced...

I think maybe he was thinking that way you're not just giving the cakes away without making anything on it? Maybe he had good intentions?

Sit down and calculate your costs, including your time. And make a price list. Charge that to your DH's co-workers, but then if they place another order, that price stays the same. Doesn't mean that after a while it can't increase because you have more experience. I think that if you're still practicing, it's ok to price a little on the low side, since you can get away with mistakes. Then after a little while you can slowly increase price.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:23am
post #10 of 15

By way of explanation.......

"I'm sorry, but since I am now receiving paid orders, I don't have the time to make free ones to send out. These cakes are $25 each." (or whatever it is you decide to charge..... and girl, you are receiving paid orders.......)

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:30am
post #11 of 15

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. However, since I do not work I have been giving my neighbors my cakes.

I decided that my next one I give out I'm going to attach a business card and a note saying how thankful I am that helped me get through my schooling and that I have been grateful for their input so I can get better. I have now started my business of selling cakes but I wanted to give them this last one as my way of saying thank you for their input.

That way they will have my business card and price list.

Joanne

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:42am
post #12 of 15

I'm with TexasSugar!

If they ask, they should pay.

I've had free samples at the grocery store, etc., but I've never heard of whole cake give-a-ways.

Of course, if you're feeling particularly generous you can have "specials" and offer discounts.... but don't shortchange yourself.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:50am
post #13 of 15

Debbie2881...I've seen your pics and ITS TIME FOR YOU TO GET PAID!! Your cakes are very nice and professional looking. IMO you should be working on your pricing. If you're not sure where to begin.. Ge978 posted a helpful pricing chart. Here's the link:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-29085-.html
Once you've figured your pricing, start sending business cards or flyers with your cakes/cake slices to let people know you are a serious decorator!

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 11:36am
post #14 of 15

I agree with others in that your time is worth something. That being said, if you are truly looking for practice and don't mind giving your cakes away, you could try making mini cakes. I do this once in a while when I want to try a new technique. Bake a cake mix in an 8" square pan. When cool. cut into 4 squares. Stack 2 and you've got 2 mini cakes to decorate. The cakes turn out really cute and its great practice. (I have several of these in my gallery). Each cake serves 4 bigger or 6 smaller pieces. You could then include a couple of business cards with the mini cakes and let people know that you're doing this as a business now.
I like to think that your husband's co-worker is probably a nice guy who really loves your cake and wants more!
Hope that helps!
Cindy

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:21pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you so much for all the great advice, i know you gals want to know what i have decided but i'm not even sure yet. I'm going to do some serious thinking about it and all the advice will definately be helpful.

DH co-worker was being nice because i was giving away for free and he was just being thoughtful.

DH works at the post office and has many co-workers about 33 so when i send a cake its not for 1 specific person so i cant charge them. If a person asks for a cake to take home i will charge but if its for the entire station and they wanted to chip in for the ingredients i thought that would be better than nothing since i'm getting practice and when i felt confident enough to sell then it would be different. 1 guy ordered a cake for a while from now and he definately asked for the price and i will charge him since i wasnt doing it on my terms.

The reason i dont cut the cakes is because my DH is the only 1 that eats it in the house and he can have a piece at work.

Cindww i love your mini cakes, i saved a few in my favs. I really like that idea, this way i get double practice. thanks.

rezzycakes thanks for the compliment, and the link.

thanks once again for all the great advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%