Imbc, Soupy Mess!

Decorating By mcataylor Updated 1 Jun 2007 , 5:50pm by Jopalis

mcataylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcataylor Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:21am
post #1 of 28

Okay so I've been reading tons of old posts about IMBC and i finally tried it tonight. I tried making it with Pasterized egg whites (the egg beaters brand because I heard people say they do that so it's safer for kids, pregnant women, etc.) But after I added all the sugar syrup very slowly in a very small constant stream to very stiff eggs My mixture turn to complete soup! thumbsdown.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gifthumbsdown.gif

Is this just because I used egg beaters? or could I have done something else wrong? it is very humid today if that might make a difference.

TIA Christie

27 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:27am
post #2 of 28

I have never used egg beaters so can't say if that is the reason this happened. If you had the whites at a stiff peak and the sugar syrup cooked to a high enough temperature I can't understand why it would do this. I know it sometimes turns soupy if the butter is too warm when you add it, if you add too much butter at one time or if you pour the syrup in too quickly. But none of those seem to apply here. I would try putting it in the fridge and then rebeating, but it may deflate the whites and you will end up having to toss this batch and try again. Humidty affects cooked ingredients, so maybe, but I am not certain.

mcataylor Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:36am
post #3 of 28

Thanks for the response ShirleyW! It was actually your recipe that I used, except of course the egg beaters. I don't think deflating the whites is a problem since they are completely deflated already. I will try to refrig. them and see if it helps but i'm going to start over using real egg whites and see if that makes a difference! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

THanks so much Christie

ShirleyW Posted 27 May 2007 , 1:39am
post #4 of 28

Christie the only other thing I can thnk of is maybe there was a slight film of grease on the bowl or beaters? Did the egg whites whip up to stiff peaks to begin with? I always rinse my bowl and beaters with a solution of very hot water filled to the top of the bowl and add about 1/4 cup white vinegar, add my beater and swish it around. Any little bit of grease can deflate the egg whites and the vinegar trick works very well.

And the temperature of the syrup is very important, you really need an accurate candy thermometer for this recipe.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 27 May 2007 , 2:11am
post #5 of 28

Hiya, I know that the packaging of egg beaters specifically says they "don't whip" for meringues, etc. I have never tried that kind, I used to use Trader Joe's quick-scramble egg whites which didn't say that (but they discontinued the product.) So anyway...You said that you added the syrup to "very stiff eggs" so it sounds like they DO whip up?

FWIW I don't add the sugar slowly in a constant stream, I stop the KA, add a small amount and immediately whip for 5 secs, then stop again, add a larger amount and immediately whip for 5 secs, then do the same 1-2 more times till all the syrup is in. Never had a problem with soupy meringue, and again, this is using pasteurized whites (a different brand).

Also I made IMBC last night with Just Whites which is powdered ew; this also worked fine. The whites smell AWFUL when you dissolve them in water - like you want to throw them out. But the finished product tastes almost exactly the same as done with real eggwhites (I did a taste test once!)

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 27 May 2007 , 2:38am
post #6 of 28

I've had it happen to me when using Egg-whites from the carton as well. All I can say is keep beating it. It WILL take a while, 15min +, but it will slowly become thick and creamy like IMBC should.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:15am
post #7 of 28

yes keep beating.. I use the egg whites in a carton all the time (well, when I make IMBC) and they say they dont whip, but they do!

at first it looks like one big melted mess then it comes together

ceshell Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:51am
post #8 of 28

This is great information for those of us who don't want to risk using unpasteurized eggs! I always assumed the cartons wouldn't work and that I'd just found a lucky brand that was pasteurized differently and thus worked.

I am curious: did everyone's egg beaters whip to stiff peaks at first (i.e. after the cream of tartar and then dry sugar additions), but then break down (temporarily) when the hot syrup was added? Or did they not really whip to stiff peaks before adding the syrup, but it all worked out after a good long time in the mixer?

Mine never broke down until the butter addition, would sometimes turn curdly halfway through (as warned) but then would always come back together after I sped up the mixer.

whyteicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whyteicing Posted 27 May 2007 , 4:54am
post #9 of 28

i skip the syrup step. i dont heat anything at all.
i just add the granulated sugar to the slightly whipped pastuerized egg whites.

then beat that to stiff peaks.
add room temp butter, and then beat for.ev.er.

this buttercream takes a long time to make.
i have it beating on high for 20+ minutes before i even think about checking on it.[/i]

Torte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torte Posted 27 May 2007 , 5:16am
post #10 of 28

When you leave it for apprx 15-20min beating in the mixer, do you leave it on med or high?

ceshell Posted 27 May 2007 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 28

Speaking of soupy IBMC, I refrigerated mine a few days ago, and last night took it out of the fridge for 1.5 hrs before rebeating it. MISTAKE! It was not even remotely room temperature enough and the fat separated out to a yellow soup at the bottom of the bowl. So...I warmed the bowl a bit (kept running my hands under hot water and then placing them on the bowl) and waited till it all warmed up, then started whipping the bejeepers out of it...guess what, it came back together?! Whew, what a relief.

Thought I'd share that tip. I knew you weren't supposed to rebeat it till it was room temp, I just jumped the gun. I was surprised and thrilled that it came back together.

ShirleyW Posted 27 May 2007 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

Speaking of soupy IBMC, I refrigerated mine a few days ago, and last night took it out of the fridge for 1.5 hrs before rebeating it. MISTAKE! It was not even remotely room temperature enough and the fat separated out to a yellow soup at the bottom of the bowl. So...I warmed the bowl a bit (kept running my hands under hot water and then placing them on the bowl) and waited till it all warmed up, then started whipping the bejeepers out of it...guess what, it came back together?! Whew, what a relief.

Thought I'd share that tip. I knew you weren't supposed to rebeat it till it was room temp, I just jumped the gun. I was surprised and thrilled that it came back together.

That stuff is like magic, it can be curdled and look just awful, but if you keep beating it will magically come together and be light and fluffy. One suggestion on warming the bowl is to hit the outside with a hot blow dryer.

mcataylor Posted 27 May 2007 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 28

Okay so when i made mine again last nigt with real egg whites I got beautiful meringue and very stiff whites, so i'm thinking maybe even though i thought the egg beaters were stiff they weren't quite stiff enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthorner

yes keep beating.. I use the egg whites in a carton all the time (well, when I make IMBC) and they say they dont whip, but they do!

at first it looks like one big melted mess then it comes together

Okay so when it looked like a melted mess is this after you add the butter? My soupy mess happened right after i turned the mixer on high after all the sugar syrup was added but before the butter was added. I kept beating it to bring back the fluffiness (about 10 minutes) and it just looked kinda foamy and frothy definately still a liquid quality, it would pour from a spoon. Should I have beat it longer or when you say you beat for 20+ minutes is that after the butter is added?
Christie

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 28 May 2007 , 1:36am
post #14 of 28

I use powdered egg whites for my IMBC and it works great...actually whips up even higher than regular whites.

I bought a huge can of them online and they're great. I got a 2.25 pound container (enough for 168 egg whites) for $16.99. Pretty good deal, if you ask me icon_wink.gif I just wouldn't want to risk giving raw eggs to customers...and I don't think my health inspector would like it either.

I've never had the eggs deflate when adding the syrup but I have put the butter in too soon before (getting in too much of a hurry) and they deflated too much then.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 May 2007 , 1:41am
post #15 of 28

I use meringue powder when making IMBC. I've never had a successful batch using fresh egg whites. Something about the meringue powder seems to make it more stable.

I wipe everything with a paper towel damped with white vinegar before I start and I add the hot syrup a little at a time and beat in thoroughly after each addition.

ShirleyW Posted 28 May 2007 , 3:40am
post #16 of 28

There is quite a difference in Meringue Powder and plain egg whites. Here are the ingredients in meringue powder.

Modified food starch, egg whites, sugar, gum arabic, calcium sulfate, citric acid, cream of tartar, silcon dioxide, artificial flavor.

I really can't stand the smell or taste of meringue powder, I think it must be the cream of tartar I taste, but it tastes sour or acidic to me. I'd much rather use real egg whites.

Torte Posted 28 May 2007 , 4:02am
post #17 of 28

So if you use merangue powder do you use the same amount as the powder egg whites? Do you beat it for a long time on med or high speed?

LaSombra Posted 28 May 2007 , 5:03am
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torte

So if you use merangue powder do you use the same amount as the powder egg whites? Do you beat it for a long time on med or high speed?

I think there are directions on the package for replacing egg whites...

Torte Posted 28 May 2007 , 5:06am
post #19 of 28

Thank-you LaSombra

mcataylor Posted 29 May 2007 , 5:10pm
post #20 of 28

Shirley,

Your recipe says it make enough to cover a 10" round. Mine (made with the actual agg whites) only made enough to cover a 6 inch round 4" tall. Do I need to whip it longer to make it go further? It was nice and glossy and smooth, but looked just like butter, not frothyand light, but smooth and silky.

ShirleyW Posted 29 May 2007 , 5:34pm
post #21 of 28

Did you fill the 6" cake with the buttercream as well? Because this recipe makes enough icing for the dam, piping the sides where the layers meet, crumb coating and final coat of a 10" round, 4" tall cake. I don't use it to fill the cake, I generally use a Bavarian Cream or fruit filling. Unless you have a heavy hand you should have had icing leftover from a 6" cake.

The expression fluffy and light may not mean the same thing to you as to me, the icing will be shiny and silky, not fluffy as say 7 minute icing. But lighter and fluffier than a powdered sugar based buttercream.

mcataylor Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:02pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Did you fill the 6" cake with the buttercream as well? Because this recipe makes enough icing for the dam, piping the sides where the layers meet, crumb coating and final coat of a 10" round, 4" tall cake. Unless you have a heavy hand you should have had icing leftover from a 6" cake.

Maybe I have a heavy hand!!!! I just used it to frost the outside of the 6". No dams or any icing on the inside of the cake! I didn't think I did it very thick. I don't think I could have done the dams, and crumb coating on the 10" with how much I had, and I used every drop of it. I didn't think I put it on to thick but maybe I do.... icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif
Oh well, It was very yummy much better then traditional buttercream. I'll have to make again and see if I can perfect the recipe. Thanks so much for your help.

ShirleyW Posted 29 May 2007 , 11:04pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcataylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

Did you fill the 6" cake with the buttercream as well? Because this recipe makes enough icing for the dam, piping the sides where the layers meet, crumb coating and final coat of a 10" round, 4" tall cake. Unless you have a heavy hand you should have had icing leftover from a 6" cake.

Maybe I have a heavy hand!!!! I just used it to frost the outside of the 6". No dams or any icing on the inside of the cake! I didn't think I did it very thick. I don't think I could have done the dams, and crumb coating on the 10" with how much I had, and I used every drop of it. I didn't think I put it on to thick but maybe I do.... icon_confused.gificon_redface.gif
Oh well, It was very yummy much better then traditional buttercream. I'll have to make again and see if I can perfect the recipe. Thanks so much for your help.

I am wondering if you beat the egg whites to full volume or if you added the syrup too quickly and deflated the whites before adding the butter. That would compact the icing when you added the butter and not give you as much to work with. Only things I can think of, so many other's have tried this recipe and that is the first time I have heard this. And I have been using this recipe for 7 years and know I have not had a problem with it not being enough icing to cover a 10" filled cake. How thick did you apply the crumb coat? I ice mine and then scrape it off almost down to the surface of the cake.

louie750 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louie750 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:59am
post #24 of 28

Ok, I just tried this for the first time and I also got a soupy mess (after I added the butter) I think it might of been too warm. I've read some people saying they add the butter in pieces. So they don't cream it with crisco first? That is what it says in the recipe that I have. It seems that the butter will be too warm if you beat it first. Should I skip this step then?

LaSombra Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:27am
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie750

Ok, I just tried this for the first time and I also got a soupy mess (after I added the butter) I think it might of been too warm. I've read some people saying they add the butter in pieces. So they don't cream it with crisco first? That is what it says in the recipe that I have. It seems that the butter will be too warm if you beat it first. Should I skip this step then?

you don't have to cream it with the crisco first. Just add it one or two Tbs at a time while the eggs are still whipping pretty fast. Make sure the eggs have cooled enough so that they don't melt the butter when you add it either.

ShirleyW Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:34am
post #26 of 28

For the recipe I use I add the butter in pieces, but it is still fairly firm and cold. Not rock hard solid, but just so it has a bit of give to it if you squeeze the stick or cube. Even though yours turned to soup it could still have been salvaged by chilling and then rebeating, I hope you didn't end up tossing it out. Here is the recipe I use, I have cut the amount of butter from 16 oz. to 12 oz. or 3 sticks, it isn't quite as buttery feeling in your mouth. I love this icng, it is light and smooth and goes on the cake so easily. I just can't add Crisco to this type of icing, it changes the texture and definitely the mouth feel. Almost that same greasy feel that you get with powdered sugar/crisco based buttercream, yuck.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2426-Italian-Meringue-Buttercream--Shirleys-Method.html

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 5:41pm
post #27 of 28

I didn't read all of the other responses yet, so not sure if you already heard this

Is it possible that your syrup was too hot? I use a digital thermometer with an alarm and set the alarm about 2 degrees before the recipe says to allow time for me to get the thermometer out and pick up the pan and pour it in (carryover cooking). I was previously using a candy thermometer (cheap one from the store) and I'm pretty sure it wasn't accurate and I turned a batch of IMBC into a soupy mess as well. We didn't use a digital all of the time in class when making sugar for pulling/blowing- so I'm not saying you have to use digital- but it works well for me. I also LOVE the alarm, so I can go off and work on other things for a few minutes without taking the sugar too far.

I've also used pastuerized egg whites without problems, so I'm not sure that is it. Good luck!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 5:50pm
post #28 of 28

I've made Shirley's IMBC twice and followed it to the letter and it is awesome! Maybe chill your mix, bowl and beaters for a bit but not til hard and rebeat. Takes a lot lot of beating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%