Fondant Flag

Decorating By newcakelady Updated 2 Jul 2006 , 2:41am by Fascination

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 11

Can someone tell me how to make one? My neighbor's husband is due back from Iraq next month and would like to make a cake with one draped on top. Thanks.

10 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 11

Here's a bump as I'd also like to know.

How do you get fondant really red! TIA

newcakelady Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 11

one more bump.

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 11

Have you ever worked with fondant before? Have you tried marshmellow fondant (mmf) You MUST try it if you have not. I made my first batch lastnight and will NEVER go back to the Wilton(homemade)! That stuff was nasty in comparison. So is this The American flag you are going to do? That will be a great welcome home gift! As far as making a flag I would roll out my fondant cut it to a rectangle and start adding and attaching different pieces of fondant....blue box with white stars then red and white stripes! My problem would be getting my colors true..red and blue. In the past they were always a little pastel. Then I would add to the cake before fondant is dry If you want a waved look to your flag or a draped look.

rhondie Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 11

Hey would love to see a picture when you are done. Will you attach one to this post when done? Also a great tip I have read on this thread to get red looking red is to start with orange or pink color first then start adding your red color.

newcakelady Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 11

Yes I have used mmf, it is awesome compared to wilton. I would like to try some of the other brands. I really wanted to know how to make it look like fabric, I don't want the stripes and stars to be raised up. I don't know if I am explaining this right. Do I lay it out and then roll it with a roller?

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:49pm
post #7 of 11

You can look in my photos and see my Houston Texans cake. It has a Texas flag. I'm no expert, but this is how I made my flag:

I used Wilton's Red Red to make it a good red color (took most of the tub). I used Wilton's Royal Blue for the blue coloring. I cut out each of the individual pieces, then fit them together and roll them VERY LIGHTLY and glue them together with vodka.

Hope that helps! I know with the American flag it will probably be a bit more involved. But you can do it!

rhondie Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 11

If I were doing this cake I would start with a sheet of white fondant and then add on top of that including white stars and stripes that way It is all the same height. No raised pieces. Am I making any sense? Let me know if not ok? Did you want a pattern pressed on top of the flag to resemble textured fabric?

rhondie Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 11

Ok It just hit me...I think you are talking about the blue box with stars. I would make the blue box,use a baby star cutter to cut out blue stars, then use the same cutter to cut white ones..take the white stars and place into the blue box where the star"holes" are. No baby star cutter? Hand cut..agh sound aweful time consuming.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:35pm
post #10 of 11

Rolled buttercream is easy to color and softer to work with. Here's an Italian flag I did with rolled buttercream.

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:41am
post #11 of 11

Hello
If I udnerstand your request correctly, you want the flag to look like smooth material (cloth); I have done several flags and find it is easier to just paint the fondant.
Start by rolling the fondant as thin as you want; cut your rectangle and place it on a cake board sligthly larger than the intended flag.
Disolve your colors (in your case red & blue) in a small amount of vodka or clear rum.
Using a ruler, mark lines for the red stripes; then carefully paint red between the stripes, using a fine (CLEAN) craft brush.
For the blue surrounding the stars: using a small star cutter, gently press onto the fondant to slightly mark the stars; paint blue around the stars.

If you do not dilute the color too much with the vodka, you will get true, bright colors. Try brushing it on a small piece of leftover fondant before actually painting the flag. If the color is too diluted (it will leave heavy streaks), just let it sit for a while... some of the booze will evaporate.
Once you have finished painting, let the colors dry; then slide it off the cake board, onto your cake. If it seems to be stuck to the board, gently run a large spatula under the flag. You will want to do this before the fondant dries so you can drape the flag or make it looking like it is waving in the wind.
Don't worry if the colors are not perfect and there are some minor streaks, afterall.. this flag has been in battle!! IMS

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%